CHAPTER 33: Anger

My beating heart pounded rapidly in my chest as my body continued to shake from the adrenaline rush. The tall bone structure before my eyes caused my knees to buckle beneath me. Sans' arms, stretched out, provided a blockade from the ruckus that had just happened. I shrieked, covering my mouth, frightened that the attacker would hear me.

"Are you hurt?" He immediately asked, turning towards me. I simply nodded with wide eyes, and he sighed with relief, ushering me towards the closest wall, where a grand pillar stood. "Hide!" He hissed, pointing in that direction. "Go! Now!" He said, unnerved and frantic. His voice growled fiercely full of antipathy, an emotion I had never seen him express before.

"Oh! That's rich!" Her words seethed out of her teeth like venom. Running to the pillar, I could catch a glimpse of her vivid, long, red hair swaying from her ponytail. "Especially coming from YOU Death!" She said, conjuring up what looked like a weapon in her hand. Its imposing, brilliant color matched the same hue of Sans' seething eye socket.

Sans' arms formed a towering blue scythe towards the woman that stood from across the room. She was gorgeous; her thinned figure outlined the definition of her formidable physique. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. "Why do you still fight us DEATH!?" Her voice remained fierce and fervent, the roar of a warrior. "Your petty little game is over!"

Sans said nothing. He was like a beacon of darkness and the wafting air sent chills down my spine to see him shrouded in an aura of pure darkness and venality. "We all felt it! How right after our queen was killed, there was a burst of power from you." I didn't know what the woman was speaking of, could she be a Goddess within this realm too? The dangerous ones Sans had mentioned to me? "We all heard you scream. You finally lost your infamous 'cool.' I know you were involved."

Her voice, outlined with rage, traced the tip of her spear threateningly. Sans stood with hollow eyes and the woman's face turned into a furious scold. "I don't know what you're talking about." Sans said, just barley lucid.

"Heh. REALLY?" She chuckled angrily. "DON'T YOU DARE LIE TO ME!" Her voice reverberated over the grand chapel as my creeping eyes continued to stare from behind the pillar. She was unnaturally beautiful; more than anything I had ever seen before. Her blue, scaled skin represented a fish, but her sharpened, yellow teeth quickly gave me an impression of a piranha. "Do you think I'm joking?! Our Queen IS DEAD!" She screamed, her tone was bruised and frustrated. Had Sans been involved in this in any way?

"Back off, Undyne." Sans spoke, finally giving her name to the deafening silence. The area surrounding him grew with deterioration. The rose petals withered away immediately, though the ones surrounding me remained fresh and alive. His words were menacing and hostile; my body refused to permit me to move. It was a horror: I was petrified to sit and watch.

"JUST WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?!" She shouted, taunting him further to the edge he rested upon. She pushed him, bit by bit, to the point where he tempted to lean off of the cliff.

Sans yet again said nothing as his wrath only brewed more. Like a pot beginning to boil over it's lid, his hands took the form of clamped fists. "WHY AREN'T YOU SAYING ANYTHING?! ARE YOU GUILTY OF SOMETHING AFTERALL?!" She screamed, and his body began to visibly shake with anger. Why was he trying to control himself?

"Undyne. Stop." He said, causing her to stammer a bit in her posture as a warrior. "I am in a rather foul mood at the moment. I would rather not deal with this right now." Sans said, allowing her to take in his response. A stagnant silence loomed over the two of them as one word followed his answer. "LEAVE." He hissed. The hostility was prevalent.

"WHAT are you getting so WORKED UP ABOUT?! Afraid your little human is going to die?!" She said, pointing her bright blue spear towards the pillar I was behind. Quickly, my head retracted back behind the pillar, and by thumping heart achieved an even faster rate. I heard the cracking of wood even further as my chest burned from the rapid pace of my heart. "I might as well kill her for you! Last time I checked, you wanted them all to DIE!" she said, now redirecting her voice to Sans. "YOU HATED. THEIR. GUTS." She was ushering him further to the balcony of darkness. Was she trying to set him off? Would he be able to control himself?

There was a small silence in the air until he spoke: "You know nothing."

She laughed, her eyes remained a deep, emerald green. "How can I NOT know?! You're always complaining about them! Always saying how they were the bane of your EXISTANCE! In fact, I'm surprised you're even trying to protect her!" She said, taunting him further. "You didn't try to protect our Queen in anyway, so I guess you really didn't care. Without her, you can finally be free of your 'repulsive' job, RIGHT?!."

"SHUT. UP!" Sans finally said, rising his hand to launch a wall of bones towards the fleeting figure. She easily dodged the attack as she landed back towards the ground, livider than before.

"YOU'RE GOING TO WISH— YOU NEVER DID THAT!" She screamed, her arms raising to counter his attack with more spears surrounding her body. They were all at her command, like a captain to its army.

I couldn't think. There was no way Sans was going to get out of there. There were too many spears. They just withered away at his touch, though I couldn't tell if they were affecting him or not. Would he die too?

"You know what to do."

Something in my heart told me to step forward and help him. I did not want to stand here and do nothing! I was tired of watching everyone DIE! He wasn't going to end up like Blake!

"SANS!"