CHAPTER 15: The Familiar

The crow.

A symbol of Death itself.

Not all Gods had the same power to harvest and control a specific part of their soul, however, Death was certainly one of the few that could. Only the most powerful Gods were able to harness the said power of the specific supernatural entities and the form that the piece of the soul took form of.

However, this was also very dangerous to use.

An unguarded soul, to fight, watch or, just wander through the realms, mainly the mortal realms, but they may be used to watch on a specific individual, and keep the said God safe and aware.

With the number of souls influxing over this short period of time, Death realized quickly that he could no longer watch over Frisk himself. He needed someone— someTHING more than just him.

He needed to be in two places at once.

Death had always been able to harness this powerful feature of the Gods. Life had been able to harness this as well, her soul taking the form of a deer. From what Death knew, no other God had this ability of such sheer control over their souls.

Not even his brother.

The familiars could only speak in such an encoded script, that only their masters could understand what they were saying. These purposes could also be used if someone dangerous had been near the said God within the era of fighting.

All of these creatures summoned had a specific concinnity with their God. Holding a specific piece of their soul, they reflected their nature, and their abilities. And example said is Life's familiar, the deer. Being quite the dentrophile, Life has been blessed with such a delicate creature that resembled peace and one of the many parts of life itself. A mixture of serendipity and falling victim to the evil eyes of a plagued world.

That was Life.

And for Death?

A crow.

The horrid caw of these scavengers lurked only on the most decayed trees, so that their flock could all stay together with enough room. It was only irony in itself the fact that their so-called flock, was in fact called a murder.

The sifar in their souls to pick off of the dead carcasses only led them to be more and more frowned upon as the time went by, before they were completely known for bad luck when one crossed your path.

You would think that upon having a bird as a familiar would open up a sense of freedom, having more of an insouciant personality with these wings of leisure, able to fly them away at any moment. However, their wings were merely for decoration. Chained to the ground, they only use these gifts to run in fright of the slightest noise of a pin drop. Rather than freedom, they merely give off the feeling of fantods around them.

They never knew the gift bestowed upon them, and thus, ridiculed for their actions of scavengers and feasting upon the dead, rather than hunting for their own.

And that, was Death.

People never understood the gift he had given to them, tearing their souls from the treacherous world they had suffered in for so long. A kalopsia is what the world was in the eyes of these humans, reluctant to leave once their time is finally up, but want to die the entire way through nonetheless.

The feathered friend landed on Death's arm, as he extended his wrist out for it to grasp. It was a slow, glum movement, as he sat upon the border of Life and Death.

The Bird was the only thing he could touch that had been "living". If anything, this creature was just as dead as his soul. It had no soul, ironically, being a piece of him. That was the only reason why it had been kept alive upon Death's cursed touch.

Death stroked it's feathers slowly, as it ruffled them at his master's touch. "Would you mind doing me a favor, old friend?" He asked the large bird in a rather low tone. "It's a rather easy one, yet it might be difficult in the end." Death said, sighing slightly, running his skeletal fingers through the Bird's feathers, making it coo softly.

The only problem with Death's familiar, was the fact that it was apart of him. Therefore, anything the Bird touched, suffered the same fate as if Death himself were to touch it as well. Anything this bird touched died, and crumbled to dust.

Of course, Death didn't need to ask for this favor upon his familiar. The creature would do any task, no matter how difficult, for its mind was infused with his, and what the bird sees, is what he sees in the end. "All you must do is watch over her." He said, giving no specific name, eyeing the pillar in the back with a glare. "Then things shall settle." He said, living his fingers and throwing his arm up into the air to let his friend take off into the sky.

It would pass the border and fly into the mortal realm, where he had sent it to Frisk, weary of her safety within the next realm. Entropy was most likely after her, and if she was not careful, her own people might be after her as well.

"It was only foreseen to have the Goddess of Knowledge to have found me first." Death said, turning around and looking at the last pillar with yet another glare. "Come on out." He said, growling.

"H-how were you a-aware of my p-presence?" The short Goddess shuffled herself from out of the pillar, her round self just barely hid her entire body around it. She was lucky they were so thick. "Your b-back was tu-turned." Her nervous stutter was becoming quite apparent, her plan falling into shambles before it had even begun.

"Watch for my familiar, Alphys. It sees all." Death said, eyeing the small remote in her shaking hands. "What have you got there?" He said, smirking, and lifting a single finger towards the ceiling. "Oh that's right," He said, as a large skeleton bone cracked it's way through the surface of the marble, impaling the small remote in her hands. "I'm too lazy to care."

The small Goddess looked terrified, her plan, now completely ruined, she stood frozen in fear as Death neared her, leaving a trail of lifeless ash from the petals scattered onto the ground. "Did you seriously think that I would fall victim to something as futile as a capture net?" He said, walking up to her.

Death, though about the same height, seemed to tower over her due to his compelling nature. "And might I add, the biogenetic material of the ropes would have decayed immediately upon my touch." He said, grinning. "Call this a favor, for destroying it now before you really had angered me." He said, the Goddess remained quiet, and shook violently as her glasses slipped down her nose once more from the nervous sweat.

Death extended a finger, and The Goddess was afraid to move a muscle. She feared that upon moving, she might touch him in any sort of way. However, Death only slid her glasses back up her nose, and whispered in her ear, "Now I would advise you run along now before I really have to do some damage. It was unwise of you to come here by yourself, Alphys dear." He said, and she nodded slightly, as he backed away.

She scrambled out, as he chuckled to himself slightly. "Can't they just leave me be?" He said, "I have work to do," He said, as another victim walked though the newly formed door. "Arrogant, selfish pricks."