CHAPTER 11: The Second Time

Upon falling asleep, I had noticed that once again I had been brought to the unnaturally beautiful place once more. There was a special type of concinnity to the architecture, more than I had noticed than the first time I was here before. Maybe the fact that I was over the sheer beauty, I was able to analyze the vivid details more.

But now that I was here for the second time, I only grew more fond of the deep engravings of symbols along the grand pillars and walls. I became more entranced by the patterns inside of the stained glass windows and the marble tiles, scattered with fresh fallen rose petals. It had almost an eerie feeling towards it, as if something bad happened here because it was so serene. More of like a lost battlefield, worn down, but still beautiful and calm to look at the aftermath.

However what was strange about said battlefield, is the fact that the structures looked brand new, as if someone had build and refurbished this place a few days ago. It was strange.

One could say I was filled with nothing but insipience for coming back to such a strange place, when I knew I could meet that strange skeleton again, but I couldn't help it at this rate. It was so captivating to my golden eye, wanting to take as much as I could before I was going to wake up once more. Was it foolish to come back, or to not go at all?

My mind couldn't comprehend anything, it seemed.

"Back again, I must ask?" A similar-sounding voice called to me from behind. A short pause after the words, and I had been frozen in fear slightly once more. "Well, isn't this rare." He chuckled darkly.

I turned around sharply, jumping slightly from the startle he gave me. It was the same skeleton from the last dream I had. Was this just a repeated dream? What even was this? He was standing a good distance away from me; a calmed pose, and the same robe around his entire figure. "I did not choose to come here." I said, In response to the skeleton. He didn't seem as dangerous as he did when we first greeted each other. "I remember you." I said. "Who are you?"

"How rude of me." He grinned, taking his right hand and bowing, as if he were apart of an old tradition of some sort. "The name is Sans." He said, looking up slightly. "Sans the skeleton." He sent a sly grin, standing back up straight.

I looked down at his feet, and once more, the rose petals under him had turned to dust, and the ones in an outer radius had begun to wilt and die as well. Death seemed to surround him if there was anything alive around him. Was that why he was so far away from me? "My name is—!" I tried to say, to be polite, however, he cut me off rudely.

"There is no need." He held up his hand, shaking his head. "I already know your name." He said, putting his hand down, and chuckling at my expression of surprise. No one had ever cut me off before. "It's Frisk, am I correct?" He grinned once again, slyly.

How did he know my name? I couldn't understand things once again, and it made me feel arrogant and stupid. By the way he was grinning, I could tell this was amusing to him, but his hollow eyes told me absolutely nothing, for I was unable to read them like the human eye. "H..." I stood, stunned at so many things, but only one caught my attention the most. "How did you know my name?"

"Let's call it a hunch." He winked, shrugging his shoulders. He chuckled only slightly, and I felt as if none of them were actually real laughs. He sighed, looking at me with an almost distant look, and in a state of saudade. As if I reminded him of someone distant to him.

"Where am I?" I asked. I couldn't believe what he had told me last time I had been here. The border between Life and Death? That outrageous. Such things didn't exist! "And why are you here?" I asked, more and more questions arising on the tip of my mind. I needed to ask them all before I would forget to ask the questions.

"What is with all of the questions? A curious mind we have." He said, casuing me to look down in embarrassment. It was rude of me to pile him with questions. "I told you last time we had met, didn't I?" He stated, winking slightly, and reiterating with a calm and relaxed voice. it was not irritated as I would expect. "This is the border between Life and Death." He said, "Most don't get to see it twice." He said, chuckling. "And as to why I am here?" He hummed, as if he had to think about what answer to tell me. "Let's just say I'm here to visit an old friend." He said, darkly.

"Where are they?" I asked, using my arms to talk, a habit I had gotten from my friend, Blake. She was always energetic and outgoing, using her entire body to talk and tell stories to the little ones at story time in her spare time.

"She should be here soon." Sans said, looking into the distance as if he were waiting for her to come in through the windows. "She's probably asleep right now anyways." He said, longingly. "It's been a while since I have seen her." He said.

"That quite rude of her to be sleeping whilst you're waiting for her to show." I said, crossing my arms slightly. "She should hurry up and not keep you waiting for so long." I grumbled. "I dislike it very much when people are rude." I huffed, thinking back when my friend Stephanie had been almost 10 minutes late to our meeting spot. "People should be more considerate to time." I said, reciting the lines I had learned in school, nodding my head as I did say so.

"Yes. She should hurry." Sans sighed, "However, I think it's about time for you to go back home." He said, pointing towards a door that had not been there earlier when I had looked in that direction.

The door danced with stained glass patterns, decorating the door beautifully, however, what puzzled me the most was the odd placement of the door. It was in the middle of the room, and seemed to lead to nowhere. "This is the door to your world." Sans said, walking over to the door, leaving a trail of Death behind him. Was it rude to ask about the power that he held? "Till next time. We will meet again." Sans said, grinning.

It had only felt like a few minutes, but upon opening the door, I gasped at the sound of my alarm going off, and shot up out of my bed. I was still confused as to what exactly was happening to me, and I could soon realize that I was back inside of my own room. Placing my palm on my forehead, I stared off into space as my alarm continued to go off arrogantly.

"Strange." I said, with a puzzled look on my face as I reached over to turn off my alarm. "He's quite the interesting character, I must say."