CHAPTER 10: Thinking

Death was always thinking. Even when you would least expect it, he was always planning. Always scheming for the next choice, and constantly one step ahead of you, no matter how much you thought you were ahead. He plots his next choices in the puzzles of dreams and realities and he never failed to predict everything with perfection, no matter how complicated the scenario.

However, this time, Death was frustrated.

He was no longer one step ahead, as he usually was. Someone had gotten one step-- if not, two whole steps, in front of him while he had his guard down.

For once he didn't see something coming. Something unpredictable waltzed right onto his tightrope of prognostication and accuracy. An incalculable mess of confusion erupted his inner thoughts, shattering them into small pieces.

He had never been so... unhinged.

A mere mortal, capable of killing even him, as he felt his power diminishing from him ever since Life's presence had disappeared. It was odd, though, to think that once Life was gone, he would have the powers and capabilities beyond any God's control. But that was never the case. Death never had those compelling powers for more than a second, and he didn't understand.

Someone was taking his power from him forcefully, maybe even trying to pin him for the murder. After that power surge, it seemed to disappear in a flash of a moment, as if the light around him swallowed him whole. It made him feel weak.

Death pondered off into the distance of his desolate home, trying to figure out ways to manipulate the newfound situation he was in into his favor, but it had seemed like nothing was working. His mind was jumbled, and he did not have the mental capability at the moment to process even the slightest bit of what was actually going on.

He knew he could not think irrationally, for he had to be careful upon reaping the souls of the mortal realm due to Life's absence. He could not carelessly waltz into the mortal realm and create even more of an imbalance than there already was.

However, that was just what he did, but to him, he needed this information more to help maintain the balance, if there was any balance left in this corrupted world. Death thought back to about an hour ago, sitting on the windowsill of a small, quiet home in the storming rain of the King's tears. He sat there, watching the very girl that lacked a heartbeat walk up to him in awe upon seeing a crow for the first time.

The only thing keeping her alive was her soul, and certainly, the only thing keeping her soul in her body was the faint trace of Life's power breaking through a small crack in the barrier set around it to encase the magnitude of that force. If Life's ability were to burst, it could potentially be very disastrous for both the chosen host, and the balance left in the realms. It was too great, and too forced upon her as a mortal being. Life really had chosen the worst successor, Death thought.

Suddenly, a loud cry came from the other end of the blank void Death sat in. A war cry to warn any oncoming enemy of her presence, and to stay out of her way as she charged towards her next target. A strong voice of a warrior, and the heart of a leader when it came down to justice and bravery; a kind friend, but a ferocious enemy.

She was fast, but not fast enough for Death, as he already knew she would be the first to arrive.

She made it certain that she, and she only, was going to be the first one to arrive. Her competitive nature made sure of that, and had caused Death to unmistakably predict her actions, as he calculated from the beginning since Life's disappearance.

It was only natural that she would race to him first. For Death was Life's counterpart. They were made to be enemies from the start— it was their fate.

As she arrived at unnatural speed, she held her bright blue spear of War in her right hand, pointing it at him threateningly. She glared, and Death could feel the glare of hate and disgust coming from her powerful stare. He could sense nothing but her judgement and disappointment in him.

"Undyne." He said, not moving from his sitting position in the center of his Lifeless domain. Death merely notified her of knowing her presence there next to him. He didn't even need to look up to know who she was, because he already knew. He sat there, emotionless and still, thinking, as he always did. He wasn't even phased by her intimidating presence.

"Where IS SHE?!" The Goddess of War exclaimed, enraged and angry, gripping her shimmering spear harshly, as if she was ready to kill him.

He knew she couldn't kill him. She didn't have the strength to match even the slightest piece of his unknown power.

"Put the spear down, Undyne." Death said emotionlessly and quiet. It had an eerie echo to it, and the tone was suspiciously silent. Monotonous, he still sat there, one singular knee up, and his elbow leaning up on it. "I'm trying to think." He said, trying to contemplate. He knew this only enraged her more, it was rather amusing to him, though.

"I know you did it, Sans." She growled, clenching her teeth. She was holding herself back from just ripping him to shreds, as if she forgot about the curse that plagued his body. He knew what she was talking about. The disappearance of Life, of course. Had she not realized that she was in fact gone? Or was the power leakage from that human's soul enough to let the other God's give a faint bit of hope to believe that she was still alive? "So TELL ME!" She screamed, "OR SO HELP ME ASGORE I WILL—!"

"You'll do what, Undyne?" He looked up at her with hollow eyes, almost as if he were smirking at her. Now that Life was gone, Death was certainly the most powerful God on a power scale, second to his brother, who wouldn't hurt a soul. She couldn't do anything to make him do anything. "You'll kill me?" He said, almost in amusement.

The Goddess of War hesitated, her long red hair whipped and stopped as her body jerked back in a defensive position. "Watch what you say." Death said, standing up slowly as she held up her spear once more. "You might just regret it." Death said, ominously.

"SANS! DON'T YOU RUN FROM ME—!" She cried, as Death spread his wings once again. "RUNNING AWAY ONLY MAKES YOU MORE GUILTY!" She screamed.

"I don't have time to play with you, Undyne." He said, quietly still, as he turned his head slightly to face her. "I have work to do." He said, and took off, ignoring her angered yells.

He did need to get work done.
For what she lacked the brain of, was the fact that he was trying to save the balance.

And the more Gods that knew about it, the more danger they will be in, if not the new host too, and he was already in more danger than he would have liked.

Papyrus could deal with her annoying screams.