CHAPTER 19: Arguments

Death sighed in exasperation. The vexation of his feelings were beginning to become apparent now that the human had left him alone by the river. Back in her homeland now, Death gritted his teeth, though not being able to move them. The chagrin feeling of displeasure lurked over him as continuous lies spewed from his mouth.

She did not yet know that he was in fact a God, and Frisk did not know anything about this realm she kept visiting in her dreams. Because of him, she was completely oblivious to the dangers she was actually facing head on. If she got hurt due to her ignorant mind, it would be Death's fault altogether.

However, Death could not help himself to tell continuous untruthful details, afraid of her fear in him, as Death itself. Her fear in her own society had already caused her tears to fall from the sheer stress she had seen in response to the betrayal of her own community. Putting the strain of her role in this path she walked down so ignorantly, would definitely add to that fear and enervation.

Death had to act fast once he had grasped the fact that she was showing such unpleasant emotions in the realm of the Gods, afraid of Life's power awakening inside of her. The droplets of Life coming from her eyes held more power than the touch of her fingers, and he had to be careful as to where he took her. Death was afraid of the other Gods finding out who Life's successor was, afraid they might kill her in response to her mortality. What would happen to the balance if that happened?

Where would Life go?

No mortal had ever gained the power of a God ever sense the King and Queen's human child had bore their powers at such a young age. She had died with the powers, supposedly never seen again, and thus the powers dissipated into thin air, tilting the balance once more. Humans become corrupt, and greedy for the great power bestowed upon them. They take advantage of the power given because they deem worthy, but in the end, they were not objectified of the name they had received. Representing their species, they have failed, time after time again.

Death could not take his chances, and so, he sat against the riverbed, watching the memories of the people both he and his brother had slain. His brother, walking alongside them peacefully, and he, ripping their souls out forcefully, dragging them into the abyss they call eternal rest.

"SO, THIS IS WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN HIDING." Papyrus called, shaking his head as Death did not budge. He had a feeling that someone was on his trail, however, thoughts of Frisk clouded his judgement as he raced over to find the girl. "OUT OF ALL THE THINGS YOU COULD HAVE BEEN DOING, CONVERSING WITH A HUMAN IS NOT ONE I WOULD HAVE IMAGINED." Papyrus said, thus bring him into a more foul mood.

"And?" he said, breathing deeply to calm his irritable nerves. Death had hoped to be in peace and quiet, but his dear little brother had to waltz in. "I suggest you leave. You have caught me in a rather foul mood." Death said, growling slightly, as his eyes looked to the side to try and find his brother's voice without moving a muscle. He was afraid even the slightest movement might set him off like a time bomb, exploding and yelling at his innocent brother.

"YOU WILL NOT EVEN TURN TO TALK TO ME?" Papyrus said, in a rather hurt expression. "IS THAT WHAT I HAVE BECOME TO YOU?" He asked, audibly stepping forward. Death gritted his teeth once more, closing his hands into a fist. "YOU KNOW THIS IS AGAINST MANY RULES. THIS IS UNLIKE YOU, BROTHER."

"Papyrus," He said, grumbling, the feeling of umbrage emotion starting to fill to the top of his limit. "Let's not do this right now." The annoyance in his tone was apparent, however, his brother, being persistent as usual, pressured him on to the brink of cracking. No one wanted to catch Death in a foul mood, so why did his brother keep pestering him?

"SANS." Papyrus said, Death could feel his closing presence upon him. Papyrus could not touch him, and he knew that, just what was he trying to do? "WE CANNOT WAIT ANY LONGER." He said, an urgent, yet caring tone in his voice. "JOIN ME, SANS." He pressured, "LET US GO TO THE KING TOGETHER AND PROVE YOU ARE INNOCENT. FORGET ABOUT THE HUMAN! THIS WILL ONLY MAKE YOU MORE SUSPICIOUS!"

Death's patience snapped. Like a coil being brought to it's limit through the weight of the world around it. An insignificant item, only to be torn down by the edge of the slightest bit thing that rested on top of the other many pounds. And for Death, this was the feather that the coil just could not hold any longer. "Papyrus!" He turned around swiftly, to see his brother directly in front of him, as he predicted. "I will not go with you! Get that through that thick skull of yours!" He snapped, watching his brother's face take a surprised turn.

"SANS, I ONLY BEG OF YOU THIS ONCE--!" Papyrus tried to reason with his distressed mind, however, there was no avail now, and his brother should have learned that once Death told him to leave. "WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOU ALL OF A SUDDEN? EVER SINCE LIFE HAD DISSAPPEARED YOU HAVE CHANGED DRASTICALLY."

"This is none of your business!" Death raised his usual calm voice for what seemed like the first time in decades. "Just leave me alone to think! I am in a rather abhorrent mood right now, and you are just making it worse with your persistent suggestions about change! Nothing has changed! Nothing WILL change! You cannot SAVE EVERYONE!" He yelled, seeing the hurt inside of his brother's eyes.

"I AM NOT WITH YOU, BROTHER, BUT I AM NOT AGAINST YOU EITHER. JUST KNOW I TRIED TO HELP YOU WHILE I COULD, BEFORE WE WERE FACE TO FACE." He said, rather calmly. "JUST KNOW AFTER THIS, I CANNOT OBJECT TO TAKING YOU THERE BY FORCE." Papyrus cringed at the thought, knowing he would have to be against his own brother in this situation. Knowing he couldn't help his older brother.

"How can anyone take me there by force?" Death said, in a hushed tone. "No one can touch me!" Death said, looking down, and back up to meet his younger brother's eyes. "Not even you."

His expression changed from a caring face, to a hurtful one. Death had knew that specific subject would have hurt his brother, however, he had said it anyway. Remembering the times as children when they would play together and roughhouse; hugging each other in times of need. Everything changed once the curse was bestowed upon him, and only him. Papyrus had not given into the curse, and tried coming into contact with his bones several times once the curse had been brought into play, only to have millions of years taken off of his lifespan exponentially through the longer the touch. They had both knew that Papyrus did not have long to live due to his choices of when they were kids.

His magic weakened drastically, and he became fatigued easily after touching Sans' bones, and thus he got the nickname of Death. Every God became aware of Death's condition, and all agreed to stay within a three foot radius of him at all times.

"I AM SORRY TO DISTURB YOU." Papyrus' voice cracked, and he begun walking off, back to gather more souls from the mortal realm. "I ADVISE THAT YOU CUT THE TIES OF THE HUMAN." He said, stopping for a second, "IT'LL BE BEST FOR THE BOTH OF YOU." Papyrus said.

"You don't know anything." Death grumbled, turning back towards the river. "If only you knew, Life had been sitting right in front of you, merely minutes ago." Death mumbled to himself, "Then you would understand the severity of the situation."