Night Of Disturbance

The drive home was mostly silent. The road was still as lonely as ever, leaving only my headlights as well as some streetlights to light it. Libitina just kept looking out the window, still amazed for some reason. I guess she was somewhat easy to please.

After a couple of minutes, I got to my house. Libitina walked in after me and sat on the couch. I went ahead and sat next to her, but made sure to keep a good space between us. She quickly glanced at me before looking around.

"You're so quiet," I said. "Why's that?"

"Hmm? Oh well, I've just been thinking I guess."

"Ah. I see."

She went back to looking around and I just started patting my fingers on my lap.

I suddenly saw Libitina freeze while looking towards my TV.

"Libitina?"

She didn't respond or move. I suddenly started to hear some movement before hearing a voice. Miss's voice once again.

"Thirty Six, can you hear me?"

"Yeah I hear ya."

"How did everything go? Any issues?"

"Just a little glitching I guess. Why are you asking me, though? Don't you have some way of tracking what's going on in here?"

She sighed. "I'll be honest Thirty Six, there were many instances where I lost control and was not able to view what was going on." She lightly giggled. "Fortunately, I was there to fix that menu for you."

"What? Oh right, at the Red Lobster."

"Alright, but on a serious note. While I was watching, I could also see that you are thinking very violently."

I chuckled. "Huh. I thought I was doing a pretty good job at hiding that."

"It does not matter how well you hide it. I fear that your thoughts of hostility will cause the system to malfunction. The world your in us partially using your own lucid memory. If you keep thinking violently, then I fear that it may interfere with the world we're creating for you."

"Well... I don't know. That's just who I am. It's what I think about."

"You must try to refrain from doing that. I can see what you're thinking... and I'm sure Libitina would not approve of it."

"Hey, everything working out. I don't know what you're getting so worked up over."

"Thirty Six... please. Try not to think so violently. We're doing what we can to keep you alive, please cooperate."

"Yeah yeah, whatever."

"I'm serious. If the system malfunctions, then I may lose contact with you and you may risk having the system overload."

"God dammit, that's all I hear from you. 'System overloading, you're gonna overload the system.' Can't you tell me something I don't know?!"

"If Libitina doesn't come back alive, Dr. McKinley will put you in permanent rest. Goodbye, Daniel."

Wait what?

Before I could even think about questioning what Miss had just said, I saw Libitina's head moving again. She just kept looking around.

I suddenly heard some clicks in my ear. I guess my heart rate was rising. Probably because I was freaking out about what Miss just told me.

Permanent rest. Obviously, that meant I'd be killed.

I took a couple of breaths and tried to calm myself down. Libitina turned to me as I did so.

"Danny, are you alright?"