Fun Facts

Story recap so far: Naina as on a mission to the Indian/Pakistani border and runs into Armaan, who's on a charity trip with his cricket team. They run into each other and then meet again at her best friend's wedding. They been flirting but Naina tells him to avoid getting involved with her. And here we are now, on the day before the wedding. Enjoy :D

NAINA

I woke up exhausted. By the time we finished up the mehendi and I helped Sanam into bed, it was around 2:30. And here I was, waking up at 6. I'd functioned on a lot less sleep before but when you know you're going to have to deal with Indian aunties all day, no amount of sleep was enough.

Today was the mayera dastoor, something that Sanam's Rajasthani family did so the groom's side decided to take part in it for her. Which is sweet.

The groom's side would bring over gifts, her walima dress, and sweets and stuff for her family so all I had to do today was dress up and look pretty wherever I sat. I think sanam wanted to do more games and singing tonight but she said we'd play it by ear.

I took my time getting ready. Sanam's words kept playing through my head. "Maybe you should mess around too Naina."

I missed this feeling. The rapid thudding of my heart, the summersaults in my stomach, the hear rushing through my veins. I chuckled bitterly to myself, staring at the reflection in the mirror that sometimes seemed foreign.

Those feelings belong to a naïve, stupid, idealistic girl who learned the lessons of reality in the toughest way possible. I would be the dumbest person alive to chase after those feelings again.

My phone rang. "Naina tum kahan ho? (Naina, where are you?)," I knew she was going to yell, which is why I answered on speaker.

"I'm leaving soon Sanam, I'll be there in 10 minutes," I told her.

"Haan haan, angrez ki chamchi. Jaldi kar. Meri mat maari jaa rahi hai (Yeah, yeah you British kiss ass. Hurry up, I'm dying over here)," she wailed.

"What happened?" I grabbed my phone, clutch, and left the hotel room.

"Rizwan's family has left their house already and I'm not ready yet!" she sounded like she was about to cry.

"What? Why? Makeup artist kahan hai? (Where's the makeup artist?)," I flagged down a rickshaw by the time Sanam finished her story of how the makeup artist's son had diarrhea and how she was running late.

"Acha don't worry. Sab sambhal loongi main (Okay don't worry, I'll handle everything)," I promised.

------

ARMAAN

We showed up at Sanam's house, just before noon. When we got there, a group of girls were standing at the entryway with trays stuff.

Since I was at the back of our side, I could clearly see what was happening. Naina was standing towards the left side of the door, holding a golden tray of rose petals. She showered them Rizwan's family members as they slowly made their way inside through the crowd. I strategically maneuvered so I would enter from her side, giving Saf a tiny push so she was in the middle of me and Ayaan bhai, and Omar bhai. I could sense my cousin's sharp eyes on me but I ignored her, instead giving a cheeky grin to the girl in front of me.

"Hi," I waited, and she finally threw a couple petals on me.

"Welcome," she stepped aside to let me pass. I wanted to stay and talk but Saf apaa and Ayaan bhai were already walking inside. I took a few petals and showered Naina with them before running to catch up with my cousins.