Adventure

This is it everyone, the last chapter of Naina.

What a journey this has been. My life has felt like it has completely fallen apart at times but there is such a beauty getting lost in the stories of people who are better than us, more hopeful than us. Naina and Armaan got me through some tough times. They will forever have a special place in my heart. Thank you all to those who stuck by till the end. Those who find the book in the future, my apologies for the ridiculous amounts of typos 🤣

Like Naina, I hope we all find the love and strength we need within us. The world will always find ways to make us feel alone, feel broken, but once we learn to love and appreciate ourselves, we will never need anything from the world again. Lots of love and gratitude to all 💞

A spin-off to this story called "Last First Chance" is already out! Please do check it out :) 

Thank God there was nothing scheduled for the next morning. We all woke up way too late. Namrata had a 100 questions for me but I told her it was just nerves.

Today was the big walima (reception) in the evening.

The Al-Ameen family was sparing no expense. The guest list was thankfully being kept tight, and there would be security everywhere- which makes sense, their son was only kidnapped but a notorious mafia man less than a year ago.

Hasan was coming and Armaan extended an invitation to Maheen, who Armaan credits as the reason my life was saved. While the other ceremonies this week were pretty low-key and chill, Armaan said today would probably be a lot more upbeat since the family's business partners and investors would be coming, including the extended family.

He also mentioned his cousins really like to party at their weddings, and Armaan was the last of the kids to get married. So they definitely were going to make use of this last opportunity.

To help minimize the risk of my being photographed directly, I was wearing a long veil over my dress. It looked like a choice made by a conservative bride but it looked great nevertheless and fulfilled it's purpose. Since the walima dress is traditionally gifted to the bride from the groom's side, this was selected and gifted to me by Armaan's mom. I was relieved she had good taste but I suspected Armaan's sister or cousins had some hand in it.

"Do I look okay?" Armaan fussed with his bowtie in front of a mirror and I smiled to myself.

He looked more than okay, if I do say so myself.

We had just finished our photos and had a late lunch/early dinner, our first proper meal of the day. Now it was time for us to make our grand entry and we were just waiting in the suite outside of the banquet hall doors to be beckoned.

I got up from my chair and walked over... Actually it was more of a waddle because of the width of the dress.

I stood in front of Armaan, moving my veil back over my head to see him properly. I held his face between my hands, my ring glinting in the light. "You look perfect."

"Thanks," he grinned, the tie all but forgotten with his attention on me.

We were flying off to Italy and Spain for the week tomorrow afternoon for our official honeymoon. We both snickered when his older brother suggested we take a quick trip before my summer classes start, not daring to speak a word about our actual honeymoon months ago.

After this summer, we were going to move into an apartment closer to the university, where we both would complete our degrees.

There was a knock on the door, breaking our bubble. "It's time," Safiyana's head popped into the door.

"Thanks Saf," Armaan nodded towards her. He pressed a kiss to my head and then set my veil back down.

"Ready?" he asked me, offering his hand.

I took it, locking my fingers through his. "For anything." 

---

Armaan locked his fingers through mine as we strolled leisurely down the rice field. The sun was starting to really beat down now and we'd need to take a break soon. For our honeymoon, we both agreed we wanted more adventure. We'd been ziplining, mountain climbing, waterfall diving, and now rice field hiking. The first of many adventures to come in this life Inshallah. 

Armaan plopped us down in the shadow of a tall palm tree, pulling out water bottles from him backpack.

"So two kids after three years?" we'd been discussing our future plans, both jokingly but also somewhat seriously. 

"I'll be 29," I mused. "Probably 30 when I have the first one. Your family won't be wondering what's going on?"

"Who cares," he leaned his head on my bare, sweaty shoulder. There was no one around but us this deep into the fields. We had a hiking guide who we let stay at the base camp. I've snuck my way though international borders and jumped out of moving planes. I'm sure we could find our way out of a field when we still got cell reception. We were both adventurous and athletic, a little exercise was all we craved. "I just want you to myself for a little while longer."

"So wait, I have a question," I turned to face him, crisscrossed. "What do we count as like the official start to our relationship? Like what's our anniversary, because we've had like ten," I laugh.

He pulls me closer, tucking his knees under mine. "I think it should be that day you took all of us to see the windy palace in Jaipur," he suggests.  

"The Hawa Mahal?" I chuckle. "Gosh, you were unbearable. You literally asked me on a date, you shaitaan," I smacked his cheek playfully.

"It worked didn't it?" he throws his head back in a laugh. "I honestly think I fell in love with you that exact day. Those jhumkas you wear just do something to me," he kisses the inside of my wrist sweetly. 

"I'm going to write Armaan hearts Naina all over my uni notebooks," I snicker, climbing into his lap and closing my eyes. "I'm so tired, let me nap and then we can head back."

I could feel his smile where his face was pressed against the top of my head, making me smile. 

I could spend the rest of my life right in this moment with Armaan. He truly lived up to his name; he was everything I could dream of and more.

I didn't realize I was spinning my wedding band around my finger until Armaan took hold of my hand. 

"What are you thinking," he smiles knowingly. 

"Nothing," I blush, looking away out to the beauty of the world around us. 

He takes my face in his hands, kissing me slowly. "I could get lost in these eyes forever. I love you Naina."