Beauty Sleep

I arrived back home at 3am. I threw my bag to the side and went straight for my bed, pulling off one piece of clothing at a time on the way. I grabbed a long, loose t-shirt I had kept on my bed and pulled it over me, already half asleep.

I burrowed myself in the thick blanket and let sleep over take me. I don't know when the sun rose but I woke up after lunch and walked around the house, pants-less, cleaning up my mess from last night.

I dreamt of the cute boy from the mosque and woke up thinking about him. He looked familiar but I couldn't pinpoint where I could possibly know him. Every time I'd been to that mosque whenever I'd had to cross over into Pakistan, the mosque had always been empty.

So where had he come from?

I ordered some food since my tiffin service hadn't started for the month yet, and quickly took a shower. When the food arrived, I sat down in my kitchen with all my work from yesterday and ate while I worked through it all. I typed up a quick email and sent it to Namrata.

After finishing up the work, I texted Sanam and told her to meet me tonight. I found a gift bag in my storage closet and put all my materials from the mission into it. I ran a quick straightener through my hair and then sat down in the living room with my laptop. I turned on the TV and opened up to answer more emails.

"Many members of India's cricket team visit the Wagah border in an effort to bring peace to both countries. Members from both teams met up at the border and spent two days with the troops. Players included Ahmed Shehzad, Virat Kolhi, and Armaan Al-Ameen."

I looked up at the right second to see the cutie from the other night gracing my screen, standing in a sombre salute to the Indian flag.

Armaan Al-Ameen, up and coming batsman in the Indian cricket team. Aag laga di hai larke ne I thought, seeing the news anchor gush over him.

He was cute. Really cute. Dark black hair that was slicked back, fair skin with a tight jaw line, and deep, deep dimples that made something in my gut tighten. I hadn't felt this way in a long time and maybe it was the romanticism of meeting him in the middle of the night but I took a liking to him. Maybe I'd have to see him play one day.

But I'd have to cover my face because I was careless and stupidly took off my veil before coming into the mosque. And he'd seen me. There were very few people in this world that had seen my real face when on mission and this unknown cricket player was one of them.

Good going Naina.

I turned the TV off irritated at myself and stared at the wall. Why was I getting irritated though? This guy was famous, he probably didn't even know where he was when he saw me. Probably just came for the free publicity anyways.

No boys Naina, we can't make mistakes like this again.

I got up and got ready instead of wasting more time lounging around. Sanam was getting married so today was probably the last day I'd deliver mission recon and materials to her. Speaking of which, I made a note in my calendar to take off days from work for her wedding too.

Sanam was my first friend, and we've been close since childhood. She supported me and loved me like a sister. Her family treated me like a daughter too and I could not be more grateful for them.

We met at our favourite dosa place in the city and I caught her up on the mission. I was debating telling her about that cricketer, but I didn't. No need to tell her I screwed up and exposed myself and maybe get fired.

"Acha shaadi ki tayari kaise chal rahi hai? (How is wedding prep going?)" I sipped my cold coke.

"Zabardast. Everything is finally done, thank God. Ab bas sab ho jaaye toh yeh tension khatam ho jaaye (I just need it all to go by smoothly now)," she sighed. "You took off work na? I don't care if India is in the middle of a meteor attack, you better be there. Two days before," she threatened.