Friendship

Naina's wedding look above :) 

NAINA

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Going to sleep, I was excited and so happy for my best friend but something happened in my sleep and I woke up ready to beat the shit out of someone.

I cried my way through the morning, somehow getting through doing my makeup with the extra drops of water on my face.

I read namaaz and managed to calm myself down enough to leave the hotel with a smile on my face. Sanam's house was still quiet when I got there.

She was showered and sitting in front of the vanity, wearing her light pink lehenga, with three makeup and hair artists working on her.

"You look nice," Sanam smiled at me through the mirror when I entered.

"Thank you. Can't not look fabulous on my best friend's wedding day," I squeezed her hand.

"Exactly," she chuckled. She was tired, probably really sleepy, but she was glowing with happiness. Pangs of jealously kept popping up and I tried my best not to let the negative thoughts impact me.

"So how was yesterday, I never even got to talk to you about it," she wiggled her eyebrows at me.

Sanam knows everything about my life, so there was no doubt she would hear about this too. "Armaan asked me out... I think."

"What!" she almost jolted out of her chair, about to mess up the hairstyle the girls were working on, not to mention she almost got her forehead burned off by the curling wand.

"Well not really but it's confusing. He said he wanted to take me out but he wasn't looking to date. So that means two things. He's looking for a hit and run. Or he's looking for a lifetime commitment. Either way, I'm not doing any of those."

"Kya yaar. Naina (Oh come on man)," she took my hand in hers again. "Paanch saal hone ko aaye hai Naina. Kitna sambhal kar chalogi? Kabhi na kabhi sab ko girna parta hai (It's been five years, how long are you going be so over protective about yourself? At some point, everyone has to get hurt in their lives)," she said gently.

I wish I could Sanam but it's easier said than done when you've never been in my position.

"Tumhari shaadi hai aaj. Yeh sab baatein choro, aur bataao, andar kya pehna hai (It's your wedding day, let's not talk about this stuff. Now tell me, what'd you wear underneath?)," I teased.

She started blushing and the conversation diverted as the makeup artist asked her how she wanted her dupatta set. I lay down on Sanam's bed and scrolled aimlessly through Instagram.

Eventually it got closer to the time of the wedding, so I helped Sanam by getting her clutch ready, making sure her night bag was packed, and cleaning up her room a bit so it wasn't as much of a disaster for her parents. All very difficult tasks while wearing a sari.

I had to leave Sanam when the baraat was arriving, so I gave her a peck on the cheek and ran off downstairs.

Sanam's mom handed me rice and I stood up front with them. They had a tradition in which when the groom's side arrive, the bride's family threw rice on them.

Weird but very entertaining.

"Is this a hint that you'd like to go out for biryani sometime? " I heard Armaan's voice behind me as I was fixing my sari.

"Hello to you too," I plastered a friendly smile on my face. I don't know why but since the whole fiasco at the Palace yesterday, my heart clenched a little bit every time I saw him. "Lunch mein kha lena biryani (You can have biryani during lunch)," I informed him helpfully.