CRACKO

Prologue

The man slowly became aware of his surroundings. He did not know where he was...or how much time had passed; if he would ever know those answers. He swallowed hard and tried to find his voice. He looked up and pleaded, "Please, help me?" the man struggled to extend his hand but it wouldn't move. He tried to get up but his lack of strength and the extreme push being exerted against his body caused him to collapse. A weight seemed to be holding him down, even though he couldn't feel any physical restraints.

"My name is Frederick. I wish I could help you," the somewhat meek voice told the man. "My brother has ordered me not to interfere and, he'll be back any minute."

The man took a deep breath. The air seemed cool as it flowed down his throat but not fresh and there was a musty smell that permeated his lungs. He began to cough and shiver.

Frederick got the man a glass of cold water. He put his arm under the man's head and raised him up enough to drink. He gently touched the glass to the man's lips and watched the trickle of water flow.

The man's face showed the pain of swallowing the small drops of water. He attempted to talk in between swallows. He coughed and his teeth were chattering shivers, "Wh... wh...why?"

Frederick felt the man's anguish and slowly lowered his head. "Sh... I'll try and find a blanket for you. Stay quiet until I get back."

The man watched through glazed eyes as Frederick's shadow moved beyond his sight. He heard a metallic clang echo in the room, followed by a click sound then, a deathly silence settled over him.

Although his mind seemed steeped in a fog, there was an analytical sense that appeared to be on auto-pilot. He turned his attention to his surroundings.

The only light source he could see came from the glaring panels directly above him. He didn't know why but he was sure these tubes got their luminosity from sun flares stored in their cells and were used primarily in extremely dark places to replicate sunlight and provide heating.

In order to observe more of the room, he knew he needed to get up. But, all his efforts only enabled him to turn his head. There were objects beyond his range of vision that only appeared as shadows. He squinted and concentrated until he was able to make out more than the silhouettes. A huge object which seemed to have a clear covering, almost like a giant clam shell, sat on a metallic base at the opposite side of the room. Red and green lights flashed from the front panel and were reflected by the shiny substance that covered the walls.

At first, he had no idea what he was looking at and then, he finally reached through the cob-webs of his mind and it struck him. He'd seen pictures of bunkers and storage cellars from past wars that looked similar to this room. The man kept searching his mind but all he could remember was that the walls were specifically designed to conceal secret facilities.

Disjointed thoughts flooded his mind: images of people, places and things and strangely enough, repetitive sounds of music. He knew he needed to remain calm and sort through the questions that kept shouting at him: Where am I? Why am I here? I believe I know one of these men but why can't I remember? And, why am I being restrained against my will? He knew he had to try and analyze the situation and then maybe the answers could help him resolve this nightmare.

Concentrate on the brother the one called Frederick. He seemed like he wanted to help but why has he been gone so long. Frederick said his brother warned him not to help me, maybe he got caught. Maybe he isn't coming back! The music played louder in his mind. Then suddenly, he realized it had a calming effect. Use your mind. Think, think, he told himself. What is the last thing you remember? The thoughts were there but they just seemed out of reach. Disconnected words rushed through his mind. A phone call. Someone at the door. A loud bang... hot fire in my veins. Dizzy! Movement, yes, some type of motion; then darkness and extreme cold. He struggled to see through the indistinct memories. Who was I talking to?