Chapter 44

CHAPTER 44

Evie returned to her room and also couldn't sleep. She tossed and turned not wanting to turn on her computer in case Eddy was on "IMM," Immediate Message Mode. She'd been having a battle with herself since Vid-Mart; but not about Controller, about Rick. Why am I still thinking about that guy, he's Sheila's! She kept repeating in her mind but that didn't seem to stop her thoughts. What troubled her most was how much Rick had invaded her mind and how all of a sudden, she didn't even want to talk to Eddy.

Evie, what is going on with you? She pleaded with herself, get a grip. She grabbed her modeling magazines and started to work out some new photo shoot routines but her mind wasn't in it; nothing seemed to distract her from thoughts of Rick. Evie was obsessed. She finally decided to call the number Rick had given her on her C-TEL. As she started to engage the call she noticed the time and disconnected, knowing it was just too late.

She sat down on her bed and hugged one of her favorite stuffed animals, a white monkey her grandmother had given her when she was very young. "Lil' Monkey, can you tell me what to do?" Knowing no answer would come, Evie decided to call her friend

Paula in California. Paula never liked Eddy very much and she would be happy to hear about the agony Evie was going through over some other guy.

Evie logged in the number and was grateful for the time difference but all she got was an answer-server, "Paula's out havin' fun. Leave a message or leave none."

Evie was so disheartened that she didn't even leave a message.