CHAPTER 34

CHAPTER 34 

CHAPTER 34

"Rosie, I'm asking because I am your boss! Please re-check your conclusions of the overlay of Viv's sonogram with your patterns."

"So, you do doubt me, Dr. K.?"

"Well!"

"I may resent that but, in the meantime, the latest sonogram reveals fetal growth comparable to a human embryo in the second trimester."

"Thanks, Rosie, continue monitoring."

"Why should I, if you are going to keep doubting me?" Rosie replied in a whisper tone that she was sure he would have no trouble hearing.

Martin and Vivian smiled. They were now positive they were watching life evolving in the incubator. Rosie's chemical analysis confirmed that the properties of the plant herbs, when mixed with the engrams, in a reverse cryonics state, generated the life process and accelerated the growth of the very cells it was creating.

They attached additional probes to the organism in order to detect its vital signs. Vivian suggested, "We need to set this up like a womb." She thought for a moment and then began gathering what she needed.

She looked up and stopped in her tracks. She put her hands on her almost unfindable hips and stated, "Martin take that, 'are you kidding me,' look off your face right now and help me!" Vivian had gotten: a bottle of distilled water, some tubing and IV Saline, to which she added Chloride and Potassium. She then made up a concoction of synthesized hormones, including, relaxine, oxytocine, progesterone and estrogen. Before she finished she had to figure a way to mimic human placental lactogen.

Rosie actually came up with the way. There was some amniotic fluid from Viv's pregnancy that they had stored for future research. It was the perfect addition. Vivian also donated a blood sample to complete the womb formula.

She handed Martin the tubing and the fluids for the chemical needs. "Martin, we'll also need to rig a system that can maintain and compute the right atmospheric condition to simulate the womb."

Martin signaled Vivian the air concentration system was ready.

"Rosie, warm the environment in the incubator to 98° and then sterilize and mist it into the incubator through the tubing system Martin is setting up for air intake and outgo."

Vivian then looked around for food. She came up with soy which she broke down into its simplest form and then mixed it with plant herbs which she refined for easy absorption into its bloodstream. "Yes, that should give it some nourishment." It took a lot of creative jury rigging but before long, they had created an artificial womb.

Their work must have been successful because the growth process continued at an even more accelerated rate. But as it grew the confining area of the incubator was becoming a major problem.

Martin quickly rigged a makeshift oxygenated area out of a life-size transparent bubble tent they used for their germ warfare experimentation. That tent worked well as it had a clear panel through which they could watch all progress.

Martin and Vivian, donned sterile protective clothing they used when working with radioactive substances and proceeded to sterilize the inside of the tent. Next, he found one of the twin's junior size sleeping bags, from their younger days and then he used their old baby blankets Vivian had saved, to come up with a makeshift covering for the child, that he could adjust for growth. He then put everything in the steamer and made sure to use the disinfecting and drying cycles at the highest levels.