Chapter 54

All night I dreamt of another life I could have had if all these major life changing events didn't happen. I imagined so many different versions, yet there was always one constant which helped me gain some clarity on what I need to do with the Elliot situation. 

Yesterday was surreal for me, and part of me feels like it was just a crazy dream. But I know it wasn't. Elliot is alive, wanting back into my life and I am left with a choice that only I can make. 

I think I know what is best for me right now, as hard as it may be for everyone involved. 

I pull on my winter coat and walk over to George who is on the couch reading a book. His eyes look up from the book in a questioning gaze as he looks me up and down, "Going somewhere?"

My head nods slowly in confirmation until I finally recognize the book he holds firmly in his hands, making me raise my eyebrows, "I see you went through my bag and found my favorite book."

A smile makes its way onto George's face as he lowers 'The Great Gatsby' onto his lap, "I will neither confirm nor deny that I went through your things." I chuckle as his eyes hold a playful glint in them. "I can't lie that this Fitzgerald person is brilliant."

I proudly smile at my friend, glad that he's delving into the muggle world. "Well, I'll leave you be. Is Fred here? I need to tell him something."

There is a knowing look on George's face but then is replaced with disappointed one, "He rushed over to Angelina's a while ago." We both stare at each other, understanding what the other is feeling without having to express it through words. 

"I'll be at the Leaky Cauldron if you need me." I shuffle away from George, not wanting to dwell on the tense subject matter. As I leave the twins' apartment, I hear George let out a long sigh before he returns to reading. 

After a few minutes of walking with the snow crunching underneath my feet, I enter the near empty Leaky Cauldron again. I nod towards the bartender who served me yesterday before walking towards an expectant Elliot sitting at the bar. 

Without realizing, a small smile tugs at the corner of my lips as he opens his arms up to me, allowing me to walk straight into them. I feel him smile against the crook of my neck as he holds me strongly. He whispers to me, "I never want to let you go." 

I pull away from someone who I thought yesterday was a figment of my imagination. I take the barstool next to him, waving for the bartender to bring me a drink. 

I can tell that words are wanting to come out of Elliot's mouth by the way his lips are parted, but I am the one to begin the conversation, "I did a lot of thinking last night about what I want my future to look like." 

Elliot's eyes waver, nervous for my answer. He quickly asks, wanting to hear my answer "And?"

"And," I reach out to grab his hand and place it in my lap "You held such a big piece of my heart so long ago when we were human. You were the first guy I ever loved and that means something to me."

Elliot's blue eyes light up as he listens intently to my words, never looking away once. "Does this mean you want to be together again?"

He leans forward to connect our lips but I continue, making him pull back, "Elliot, I trusted you with my life and you broke that the night I found out about my father's plan. It's going to take time for me to build up that trust again." His eyes look down, filling with regret and the fear of rejection. I smile softly, "Hey, we have all the time in the world to figure this out and maybe along the way, I can learn to love you just as freely as I did a thousand years ago." 

Now I allow him to place his hand around the base of my neck to pull me forward, capturing our lips together in a passionate kiss. So many feelings come out as we remember what it was like to kiss one another. I think of Alina, our child, and how if she knew of what was happening, she would want her parents to try and figure things out.