"i think he likes you"

Nari walked into the physician's room. The doctor would be the most likely person to find out her secret, so she wanted to find out who she would be dealing with.

"Hello?" Nari called out, stopping in the middle of the room.

Silence.

She waited a little longer, studying the multiple baskets of medicines lining the walls and tables.

"Anyone there?" she called again.

No reply.

Nari shrugged her shoulders and strolled back towards the exit. Her nose filled with the flavoursome aroma of mixed herbs as she passed one particular basket. Without hesitation, she stopped and opened it, revealing a tiny ocean of scented greens sitting inside of it. Nari smiled with delight, scooping up a handful of the herbs and holding it up to her nose so she could get a better whiff of its fresh fragrance.

'It smells just like mother.'

She reached into the inside of her robe and pulled out a tiny fabric pouch. She pulled it open and poured into it the contents of her palm. Tightening the bag back up, she placed it back into her pocket and closed the basket.

"I believe that's called stealing," a voice stated from behind Nari.

She flinched with surprise and whisked around, coming face to face with...

"Ah-Ro?!" Nari gasped.

Ah-Ro furrowed her eyebrows at this young Hwarang who she had caught stealing herbs. How did he know her name?

Nari took a step closer.

"Ah-Ro, it's me."

Ah-Ro's eyes widened with confusion and surprise as she realised who was before her.

"Nari?" she exclaimed, stepping forward and clinging to her friend's clothing. "What are you doing here?! What are you wearing? Is this the Hwarang uniform?!"

Nari shoved her hand over Ah-Ro's mouth, containing her baffled questions.

"Shhhhh!" Nari hissed and leant in close to Ah-Ro's ear. "If someone finds out about this...I could die."

Ah-Ro gently pushed Nari's hand from her mouth.

"Why are you doing this?" she asked, her expression lined with worry.

Nari sighed and brought her hand back to her side.

"My mother..." she began. "I'm doing it for her. This is the only way I can come close to catching the king."

"Catching the king?!" Ah-Ro gasped, her eyes filled with anguish. "Nari, that's a death wish."

"Since when have you been so worried about doing the unlikely?" Nari asked with a smile, trying to ease her friend into calmness. "You used to tell me all sorts of stories about getting yourself into mischief. Drunken mischief may I add..."

Ah-Ro playfully pushed Nari's shoulder in embarrassment.

"Please forget those stories," she chuckled.

"Never!" Nari giggled in reply, shooting Ah-Ro a cheeky wink. "Anyway, what are YOU doing here?"

Ah-Ro scoffed and motioned to the room around them.

"I'm the physician," she declared proudly.

Nari tilted her head with raised eyebrows.

"Really?" she huffed. "That means we'll practically be stuck together...how horrible."

"Horrible? I know you'd do anything to be with me," Ah-Ro smirked.

A smile creeped over Nari's face as she silently agreed with her friend.

"You know me too well."

The girls fell into a loving embrace, joyous in the fact they had company in the lonely household; so happy that they didn't notice Seonu entering the room. As soon as he saw them hugging, he choked on his breakfast, making both Ah-Ro and Nari jolt away from one another. Seonu collected himself, staring at the two in disbelief. In a panic, Nari slung her arm around Ah-Ro's shoulders and put on a smirk.

"Seonu! I was just thanking our sweet physician for curing my stomach pains," she gloated, bringing Ah-Ro closer to her.

Ah-Ro's eyes fell to the ground as she noticed how uncomfortable Seonu was. Unfazed, Nari continued to display her affection. With a coy smile and an evil expression, she leant into Seonu, cupping her hand over her mouth to whisper to him.

"Pleasing to the eye, isn't she?"

Fuming, Seonu pushed Nari, sending her flying backwards. Ah-Ro was quick to intervene, blocking him from hurting her anymore.

"Yah! That was so uncalled for!" Nari yapped back, trying not to laugh with amusement.

Ah-Ro told Seonu to wait outside. Seonu hesitated, staring at Nari, but soon followed her orders and left. Nari turned to Ah-Ro in shock.

"I think he likes you," she said bluntly.

Ah-Ro's mouth fell open and she flicked Nari across the forehead.

"He's my brother!" she hollered, feeling no pity as Nari retracted in pain.

"Are you sure about that?" Nari asked, raising her eyebrows but still holding her aching forehead. "Just then, he looked more jealous than anything. What kind of a brother does that anyway?"

Ah-Ro rolled her eyes and sighed.

"He's still new to the whole brother thing...he only turned up a few weeks ago," she explained.

"Turned up?" Nari questioned. "Well, he could be anyone for all you know."

Ah-Ro fell silent as she pondered Nari's words. Sensing the awkwardness, Nari tried to think of a subject change. Suddenly, she remembered something that needed important discussion.

"Ah-Ro," she began, a little hesitant in her speaking. "Can you do me a favour?"

Ah-Ro smiled and nodded with assurance.

"Of course."

Nari grinned in return.

"My little brother has no one to look after him. I've already nearly passed out from worry leaving him home alone for the night. Do you think he can stay with you here?" she asked, her plea straight from the heart.

Ah-Ro thought for a moment, before gently grabbing Nari's hands.

"Poong-yeon can stay here," Ah-Ro reassured her. "But under no circumstances can anyone know. They'd never allow it."

Nari fell into Ah-Ro's arms again, hugging her tightly.

"Thank you!" she exclaimed. "With all my heart!"

"I'll go into town and get him this afternoon," Ah-Ro said with a soft smile. "Don't be worried."