00 | Prologue

00 | p r o l o g u e

Its was raining.

Mum was right after all. I don't know how she does it but one look at the sky and she could tell you what time it was and whether it was going to rain, burn or snow. It's no wonder she worked as the weather lady, I've told her to return but she refuses. Apparently, banking is her thing now.

She warned me about the rain and told me to stay put at home. She said it would be really heavy, practically a storm and she wasn't lying. I could feel little ice blocks falling on me accompanied by the heavy rain and wind that has refused to subside. I was going to listen to her but I missed him so much, seven months away is really long and what better time is there to visit your boyfriend's grave than the time of dark clouds and heavy rain.

I couldn't sleep anyway. Rain came with nightmares and its better to cry here with him and let the water clean up my tears than to cry alone in my bed and have dried tears on my face.

My eyes remain fixed on the gravestone with the imprinted words on them. Unlike some months ago where I'd cry and lament to him, talk about how shitty my day was or ask him questions he'll never answer, today I just cry in silent and endured the pain of ice hitting on me. I used my palm to wash the stone. I always wanted it neat and shiny because the person lying six feet below would never say in a dirty place. Too much of a neat freak.

Now it made me sad to think that while I was away nobody bothered to keep the gravestone neat and shiny. Well I'm back now and I'll redeem it.

I don't know how much time I spend staring at Bryce's gravestone but eventually my mind registers that I needed to be home before anybody finds out I'm gone. My body was already feeling numb from the cold and if I don't go home now, I might not be able to walk the distance.

"Bye, Bryce."

After one last look at the stone, I turned around, wiping at my face as I walk away. I don't know which is more painful; getting no reply every time or eventually walking away. I hate walking away. I promised myself I'd never walk away again but I keep doing it. I have to.

My legs slowly left the graveyard and I pull my hoodie over me, now feeling a little headache from all the ice that have been hitting me. I start the long journey to my house and when I'm about to cross the road but I'm blinded by a strong flashlight that momentarily blinds my vision.

My hands go up in instincts to shield myself from whatever was heading my way and my eyes close shut, protecting my iris and anticipating the impact. Its funny how my mind wants to be hit and destroyed but my body and stupid instincts try to protect me. The impact doesn't come. Nothing hits me and I feel no pain, instead I'm doused with water from the road, dirtying my already wet clothes.

My eyes slowly open up and I see a jeep merely inches away from me. I exhaled in relief and laugh at the absurdity. Two more inches and I'd probably be booking a space next to Bryce in the graveyard.

How I wished.

I hear the engine rumble and die continuously until a loud honk comes from the car, shocking me. The door opens and a boy comes out shooting out curses from his mouth and banging the door close in obvious anger. He turns around and stills when he sees me, his face morphing into one of confusion as he raises his brows. I don't do anything and he turns his head around, searching around for God knows what before turning to me again.