10 | My Heaven

S E A N

10 | my heaven

I was standing in a line. A line where I was the only male present. A line for the female restroom in Parker's friend nephew's Aunty's second husband's club. It was kinda funny the way girls and ladies were looking at me and the guys from the guy section too. Some girls winked and giggled at me and some shot my disgusted looks but I couldn't care less.

I was waiting for someone and if she didn't come out in the next five minutes, I'm going in there myself. The things I did for Parker Holt. I planned to write my drop out letter today because I've procrastinated it enough and my father was on my ass.

"You're a Bryan, Sean. We don't drop out of schools especially ones as important as this." He had barked over the phone, saying this for the millionth time since I dropped out of military school and hightailed back to Payne; my home.

"Dad, Mr Huge Bryan, I'm not going back." I told him and the line went silent for a minute. Dad always had something else to say, he did every day he called for the past two months. But I know why he was silent now. We the Bryan men had a talent of noting things like this. He was silent because for all the times he has called this was the first time I was saying it with Finality.

When I broke out of military school, he took that lightly, mainly because, my cousin, my brother, his nephew was dead. He had been dead for five months and everybody kept me in the dark. Dad even attended his burial and I didn't. The worst part was I had to force it out of them. Its strange and weird that Bryan hadn't contacted me in five months. The highest we went without speaking to each other was three weaks and that's because I'm only allowed communication with the outside world, once a month.

Bryce never missed this day. We'd talk about the whole month that day. So when he missed it the first time I was suspicious but Margaret told me he traveled for an away game and forgot his phone. The second month, she said he went to an emergency camp and that's when I knew something was wrong. Bryce wasn't a camp person, lack of vehicles and means of transport was his phobia. Running and walking to be exact.

The third month I insisted on speaking to him or  they should tell me what's wrong. Margaret denied and said he was sick. Her voice was fishy and I already knew something was terribly wrong. I asked to leave but I needed parent or guardian permission and consent. Dad refused me. I even had to turn to my mum but even she refused. That's when I started plotting my escape.

Our school wasn't an easy one and it took me two months to actually succeed and break free. I came straight over to Payne and Margaret fessed up. I can't explain my feelings in words but I didn't want to stay. I was plagued by memories and Dad and the Principal were demanding my presence back. I was going to go back. Throw myself at studying and work and see how life turns out. I was already packing my things up to leave but Margaret said something that had me stuck. Something that made me stay. Something that rearranged my direction and purpose. I was mad at her for keeping this from me and she didn't want me to leave still mad at her.

"I didn't want to tell you because I was scared. I was scared that you wouldn't take it well like Parker. I can't risk losing another one of you!"

Parker. Parker. Parker. My Parker. Parker Holt.

Faces of the most beautiful girl I had and have ever seen flashed through my eyes. My heart clenched and I broke down. I don't know when last I cried like that. Margaret held me as we crumbled to the floor.