5 | I'm Awake

P A R K E R

05 | i'm awake

THE VOICES FROM downstairs woke me up. Mom was laughing and our stupid walls were so thin, I could here every part of it. I wonder what she and Trey were up to now.

I yawned widely and stretched, then winced when I received the sharp pain in my stomach, it went away immediately so that didn't become a problem. My eyes moved to the side of my bed and my hazy memory remembered that someone was supposed to be there. I gasped when I saw the night sky and wondered how long I've been asleep. I walked into the bathroom to pee and stopped to check my reflection in the mirror. I looked horrible. But better than I did today in the girl's restroom.

My skin was still pale but my eyes were back to normal. I had drooping bags under my eyes and my lips was chapped. I hurried out and in again with my makeup kit. And dabbed some colour unto my face again, covered the bags as much as I could, then applied a ChapStick. When I was semi satisfy with how I looked, I slipped my feet into my flops and went downstairs.

I walked into Trey setting dinner on the table with his ear plugs in. I could still here mum laughing in the kitchen and I walked to him, leaning in to yank the ear plugs out his ear. He turned to me with a glare. "Who is mom laughing with?" I ask ignoring his glare.

He takes the earplug back. "I don't know, she went cuckoo after a co worker called."

I walked into the kitchen and saw her talking on the phone. When she saw me, she raised a finger off, laughed once more and ended the call. "Good evening mum."

"Evening sweetie, how are you?" Mom ask grabbing a tray of food and going out to the dining. I grabbed a yogurt bottle and jug of water, following behind her.

"I'm fine. What was making you laugh so hard?" I asked really curious.

"Nothing serious. A coworker was telling a pretty hilarious story. Sorry if I woke you up but... are you really okay? You've been asleep for a really long time." She pulls out a seat and lowers herself unto it, shooting me a concerned look. A look I am starting to hate.

"I'm fine, Mom. I was just tired from school." I said to her and she nodded believing me, turning around just in time to smack Trey's hand out of the food.

"Let's say the grace first." She said and we link arms saying the grace. After that we pounce into the food, well they. I wasn't hungry and I just used my fork to push the food around while I busy myself gulping down cups of yoghurt and water. "So baby, I heard that Sean Bryan's back." Mom said breaking the silence.

"From who?" I ask not all that curious. Our town is a small one and anyone could have told her.

"Well," she dropped her fork and swallowed. "Margaret called to tell me. Apparently she travelled for a seminar this morning. Trey also informed me of his visit. And..." She drawls. "I saw him leave the house. How is he? He has changed a lot."

I lick yoghurt mustache off my lip. "Yes, he has. He's taller now and I think he's fine. Why didn't you ask him this when you saw him?"

She smiled, ignoring my question and clapping her hands together. "You guys are going to be friends again! Before he left, you were inseparable."

No. Bryce and I were inseparable. But I don't correct her, I say nothing at all. She placed a hand over my palm affectionately. "Be nice to him okay? You both lost Bryce and if he doesn't show it, you must know that he's hurting. Maybe you both can heal together."