3 | Beat As One

P A R K E R

03 | beat as one

HAVE YOU EVER broken a limb or lost one? I'm not an amputee and I don't have an broken bones that I've temporary lost feeling to but I think I have an idea of how an amputee feels. As I lay on my bed, I felt broken. I feel like I'm missing a major part of me, like my legs and without it, I can't move because I'm incomplete and I have an inch but I know if I reach for it I'm not going to find what was once there.

My eyes shift from my sky blue ceiling to my phone. Its lying flat on my bedside. No hum, vibration or buzz. No light up or ring. My eyes shift to the time; fifteen minutes past Seven. Its exactly by this time that I should've received a call to wake me up. I let out a wistful sigh and tears momentarily cloud my vision.

Bryce always called at exactly fifteen minutes past seven am on a school day. It pained me that I couldn't for the life of me remember when he started, it seems like he's been doing it since forever. But I know it rooted from the fact that alarm clocks scared me, I had broken twenty and counting. I found it annoying and would always tell him to stop so I could savour extra minutes of sleep but he wouldn't listen. He'd call and call.

Please call.

Up until he left me alone in the world, I'll be fast asleep by this time. But now, I automatically wake up on my own when its time. It might have to do with the fact of my little sleep and nightmares plaguing my dreams or maybe its because I know that he'll be annoyed if I don't wake up and his ghost self might be beating himself up for not being able to wake me like he used to. If that makes any sense.

"I'm up." I say to my room and sit up my bed, swinging my legs out. "Good morning, Bryce."

Morning, Arc. How was your night?

"Not that good." I say standing up and throwing my hair into a pony tail. "I dreamt about you and everything. I think I'll need to buy an alarm, I wish to wake up earlier and go for a run."

Run? Yesh.

I chuckle pouring toothpaste on top my toothbrush. "I know right. Poor me. But if I don't, Riley's gonna kick me out of the team." I pout at my reflection in the mirror.

Sucks for you but good luck.

"Thanks."

Bye pretty.

"...bye."

After my bathroom business is over I dress up and come down the stairs to the aroma of eggs. My stomach churn in happiness but I didn't really have the will to eat anything. I walked into the kitchen anyways and saw my Mom laughing at something, Trey probably said.

"Morning." I say collecting the mug filled with black coffee I see on the counter and take a generous sip.

Mom turns to me, a smile still on her face, then back to the stove. "Morning, Parker, how was your night?"

"Swell."

Mom turns around again, without a smile this time and she looks at me trying to figure out if I'm being sarcastic or telling the truth. I don't give the opportunity though as I actively gulp down the not-smoking hot coffee closing my eyes as I go through the little pain that stings my throat.