21 | Mending As One

P A R K E R

21 | mending as one

AFTER NUMEROUS PICTURES, mom finally let us go and soon we were on our way, sharing a bottle of whiskey that Nova sneaked out of her father's stash.

"Who's your date again?" I asked passing the bottle back to her.

"Daniel Baker from the football team."

"I thought the guy you liked is, what's his name again, Owen?" I raised a brow.

"Yea but Fiona beat me to it." She pouted disapprovingly, then smiles. "But it's whatever, all the guys on the team are hot and anyone would do. Baker's a cutie."

"Of course." I gulped the drink down and my eyes landed on the sharp features of Sean Bryan. He was facing straight ahead, hands holding the steering wheel tightly as his thoughts remained concentrated on driving and whatever other thing. I could see his perfect straight nose, chiseled jaw line and clear tan skin. He looked extra good looking today, wearing a champagne button down shirt with dark denim jeans and a black blazer. He had no tie but we were already matching perfectly.

"Haven't someone ever told you it's rude to stare." Sean says surprising me that he actually noticed. I see his lips tip up slightly and I immediately duck away, hiding my face behind my hair.

"I wasn't staring." I denied.

"Sure." He glanced at me and I couldn't help but smile. His eyes...

"Here." I push the bottle to him. "Have some."

"Parker, haven't I taught you anything?"

"Oh, yes." I pulled my hand back to myself embarrassed. I can't believe I'm about supporting drinking and driving. "Sorry."

"I don't think you should be drinking." He says frowning at the bottle.

I smiled, I have been waiting for him to say something about it. Ever since Nova made the bottle known, he had this frown on but I'm sure he didn't say anything because he didn't want it to seem like he was telling me what to do. I capped the bottle back and threw it back to Nova who was now busy with her phone. I saluted, "yes, sir."

We reached the school soon enough and Sean found a parking spot immediately and we got down, awed by the decorations the school's committee pulled off. Daniel Baker, a blond actual cutie came over and taking a half drunk thrilled Nova away.

"Sean," a familiar and very unpleasant voice belonging to none other than Riley Trinke calls, as she walks into view latching unto an oblivious unfortunate boy. She seems surprise to see me but doesn't torture me more with her glaring eyes as she turns to Sean in askance. "You said you weren't coming."

Sean tucks his hands deep into his pockets. "Plans changed."

Her glare returns to me. "I can see that."

I smile, my hand seeking out and finding Sean's. Riley's eyes lower to it, and if her eyes had lasers, I'd be burnt barbeque now. "We've got to go. Have a splendid night."

We brushed past her but then she latches her hand over my arm in a death grip. I hiss but stop nevertheless. Riley leans to my ear, "I see someone has moved on nicely. I'm disappointed, I actually expected you to hold up the pity act for much longer. Bryce sure wore off quickly."