M, 24

It was late at night and Mitch couldn't sleep. Not a surprise after those eventful past couple of days, but it still annoyed Mitch to no end, so he grabbed his phone from the nightstand and decided that if he couldn't sleep anyways, he might as well browse through the internet and see what people were up to.

He's never believed in late night courage but for some reason, his tiredness made him care less and so after only a few minutes he ended up on his old Instagram Scott Hoying fan account. When he'd watched the live stream a couple of days ago, he noticed that he had a lot of unread messages but he just ignored them, but now, at four am, they seemed even more intriguing. He cursed his false confidence the moment he read the first message.

Hey there, M! I don't know if you've noticed as you haven't been active in the past couple of months but there's a very popular conspiracy theory going around in the fandom saying you're Mitch Grassi? Your bio says M, 24 and you know, seems fitting, also that you've been inactive and you've never told anyone your name or showed your face. If you're not Mitch I'm sorry to bother you, but if you are, um HI and you seem super sweet and look very gorgeous.

Quick, Mitch. Think. She already saw you read the message.

Hi! Crazy, I didn't even know about all that. I've been inactive because we moved recently and my sister had a baby and life's just very overwhelming right now. I'm not Mitch Grassi though, I wish I was, he's gorgeous! And so nice, too, I've seen some of the rude comments people have written. That's so sad, he must feel horrible about it.

What the hell did Mitch even make up here? His sister was absolutely fine, studying Journalism in Dallas, definitely not pregnant. And if his family moved, that would be news to Mitch. But the excuse seemed good enough, at least he hoped so. He didn't necessarily think of himself as gorgeous, either, but they started it, so he might as well play along.

Okay, I'm sorry lol I just had to ask. Have a great day and congrats to your sister!! :)

Thanks, you too :)

Mitch put all his hopes into the next message. He squeezed his eyes shut and whispered, "Please, don't ask me about Mitch," as he typed on the message.

Hi! I know we never talked but I was wondering, are you Mitch Grassi?

"Do I have to answer?" He whispered to himself but started typing either way.

No, sadly I'm not.

For a moment, he tried to think of something to add before he shrugged to himself and decided to send the short text.

Alright, one more message.

This one was from a mutual that Mitch used to talk to a lot back when he was still active.

Hey, girl! People are probably bothering you with this Mitch Grassi thing, I'm so sorry, I tried to tell them it wasn't you. You disappeared, are you okay? I'm worried.

Finally.

Hey! Yes, I'm fine, thank you. How are you? I disappeared because we moved and my sister gave birth so life's been pretty stressful. And thank you for taking care of the Mitch Grassi thing. I wish I was him, he's a nice piece of ass ;) And he gets to what, live with Mr. Gorgeous? That's the dream. Why are people so upset about him, did I miss something?

He could've been asking people things this whole time and he just thought of this now? Maybe if he knew why people were so upset, it would be easier...

Okay, one more.

Hey, are you Mitch Grassi?

He rolled his eyes.

No, I'm not, why does everyone suddenly think that?

He didn't even care at this point. He decided enough was enough, so he closed his messages and went to his story and typed, Guys. I'm not Mitch Grassi. Why would I even be? He's great and all, but I'm not him.

Wait... A link button? Isn't that only for -

Mitch immediately went to his account, and sure enough - he had 11k followers. Crazy how he left this account with about 800. But with that many people... Maybe he could actually do something good.

He never ended up posting the story, but instead, he found a recent picture of himself that he knew he posted on his personal account so it wasn't like he was putting out unseen pictures. And then he wrote his text.

So this is Mitch Grassi. I know many people think this is me (believe me, I've gotten 100+ messages), but it's not. Mitch, however, seems like a great guy for Scott and I was really sad to see so many negative comments about him, I don't even wanna know what his DMs look like right now. I know you're all protective over Scotty, but you're not just hurting Mitch but you're hurting Scott with this, too. He really seems to care about this Mitch guy and he hasn't done anything for you to hate him. So please, take a step back and spread positivity, and if you for some reason just hate his guts then don't say anything at all, it's not helping. Especially now that they both seem to be having a rough time, please just have some respect. We know how Scott hasn't been very lucky with his past boyfriends, so what if Mitch is the one to finally make him happy? Do you really wanna ruin Scott's chance at happiness?

Did that seem too harsh? Would it make people upset? Eventually, Mitch just shrugged to himself - he was making great progress at this not caring thing - and posted the picture. And thankfully, all he got was people supporting his statement in the comments.

Then Mitch got the idea - he could take it up another notch. He edited the picture and tagged, well, himself, and switched to his other account. He liked the picture, and... followed himself.

If he started fangirling about his Mitch follow on his story, surely no one would be suspicious anymore, right?

So he did just that before he finally went to sleep, excited to see what would happen the next day.