Future Friends

A/N: Shameless self-promo for the video 😂 No, but for real, this is the exact version of the song they sing in this chapter and it's so beautiful 😍
_

The last rays of sunshine fell through the blinds, casting a gorgeous golden shadow on the other side of the wall. Scott's face lit up, his eyes glistening with an idea that Mitch was more than excited to hear. They'd been shut in their little apartment for about thirty-two hours, maybe more, maybe less - Mitch had lost count this morning - but without many options to do, it felt like jail, even though his inmate was the most handsome man alive.

Mitch finally raised his eyebrows in question and Scott's smile became a wide grin, and god, did Mitch love this man.

"We should go."

"What do you mean?" Mitch questioned. they were supposed to stay here until Esther called them and told them otherwise. Scott didn't have any plans for this week, a luxury that he hadn't had in months.

"Let's record some music. I'm dying to sing. And, not gonna lie, I really wanna hear you, too."

Mitch frowned. "Now? Isn't it a little late for that?"

Scott shook his head, the smile not fading. "It's better to record in the afternoon anyway. Your voice is better because you've talked throughout the day, you have more control."

"Alright?" Mitch's palms started sweating. "How do we do that without being seen? Your recording studio is literally in downtown LA."

"Well..." Mitch could already tell by the smug smile on his face that he had an answer. "As it happens, I own a little private studio. I haven't been there in years, but I used to go there to practice before I recorded my albums. It's not super professional, but... we can make it work."

"Are you serious?!" Mitch exclaimed both in wonder and awe. Scott just nodded.

"So, are you in?"

"I- um, sure!"

***

Mitch was so not ready. He didn't even know the song, he just knew a few lines from the letter that Scott had sent.

"Are you sure I'm not gonna ruin it?"

"100 percent positive", Scott assured him.

Mitch took a deep breath. It would be fine. Yes. Definitely.

Scott took out his phone and scrolled through his recordings until he found one that he decided to click on.

"This is my demo. I just want you to do whatever you think sounds good, add your own little twist to it, you're a countertenor so you can just... yeah. Yes. This is it."

Mitch just watched as Scott processed all of his creative ideas at once.

"I don't want it to be a classic duet. I want something cool and modern. It'll start out with a piano and then after the first chorus we'll go from piano acoustic to a beat drop."

"Sounds amazing, Scotty!" Mitch had no idea what he was talking about but he just went with it.

"Yes? Okay, then we're doing that. And, how about I do the low harmonies and you do the high ones? You can add some high notes to it too. Whatever you feel like doing, just go ahead and we'll see what works. Oh my god, I haven't started the demo!"

Mitch laughed but Scott was so in his mind he didn't even seem to notice. He loved music, he was doing what he was passionate about and Mitch loved the little crinkles on his forehead when he concentrated, the bite of his lip when he thought about what to do next and the fingers running through his hair when he wasn't fully pleased with an idea that came to his mind.