Happy New Year

It was nice to be back on good terms with Scott, or as good as it could possibly be. Mitch definitely wanted to make this work, he didn't know how, but he knew they could make it in the end.

He thought about giving in and staying in LA for New Year's, he really did. But for one, it wouldn't be fair to Kirstie. And secondly, he would probably be sitting alone in his hotel room because Scott would be out and about with his boyfriend. Ew. That word made Mitch feel sick to his stomach.

Now that he was back in New York, he didn't have to keep up with this anymore. He also made sure to delete all of his social media apps off of his phone to not get tempted. He knew he'd checked once or twice in the past month even though he'd promised himself not to. But anyways, it was New Year's and Mitch was about to party and live his life like he hadn't in years. He didn't understand it, he usually wasn't particularly excited about going out to parties but this time he couldn't wait to watch the ball drop on Times Square with his best friend. Sure, he would've loved to have a New Year's kiss, and he hated to think about Scott having one, but this time it was about friendship, and he decided that today would be the first day that he would not be completely frustrated about the fact that he was still single.

"Ready?" Kirstie asked. Mitch nodded, grinning.

"It's been a while since I've been this ready for something."

"Well, that's great! I invited Taylor, too. You know her, right?"

"Of course," he confirmed. She was Kirstie's best friend - other than himself, obviously. "She's on Broadway too, right?"

Kirstie chuckled. "She applied," she amended. "I hope she'll get in. It's been her biggest dream."

"Just like it has been yours."

"Right. But what I wanted to say is, she asked if she could bring her very single, very gay friend. And of course, I said yes. You know, maybe..." She smirked at him. "I've heard he's quite handsome."

"B- but... I have Scott?" Mitch frowned.

"Well, you don't have Scott. Scott is... Mitchy, I'm just worried that he'll hurt you again. Will you just please give Jake a chance?" She puppy-eyed him, making Mitch actually consider the offer.

"I mean, I guess?" He agreed insecurely, but Kirstie jumped up and clapped her hands.

"Yay! Okay, this is gonna be great."

"Maybe?" Mitch cringed at the idea of having a set-up blind date tonight but he was also certain there was nothing he could do to prevent that.

***

Mitch was so not into Jake. He seemed like a cool guy, and Mitch felt like an asshole for determining his attitude towards the man within barely ten minutes of their arrival but to his excuse, he really wasn't his type at all. He was slim, small, and his hair was buzzed so short you could see his scalp. It wasn't exactly a secret that Mitch preferred more hairy guys, masculine men with beards and basically the complete opposite of what Jake was. While this guy was handsome - he had gorgeous blue eyes that reminded him of Scott - he was nowhere near Scott's beauty.

The group decided to go clubbing for a few hours before the clock would strike midnight, and so Mitch found himself shyly sitting by the bar, checking out guy after guy and catching himself deliberately looking for certain features that would remind him of Scott. He found another pair of blue eyes as well as a blonde, bearded man in his mid-twenties, another one passed by who was at least 6 foot 3, and he found himself staring at the barkeeper who seemed to have a similar hearty laugh as Scott whenever Mitch told a joke.