Alone Together

A/N: Hey guys! First of all, when did I hit 28K YOU ARE INSANE HOLY!!! THANK YOU. And secondly, I'm so so sorry for not posting for so long. Work has taken up all of my energy and I wasn't able to write at all. I've missed writing so much though, I really hope I can keep this up and write more regularly now. I used to do this thing where I would just sit down and write around 1k words each day, and it really helped me to keep writing. I might try that again...

_

"I just want to be honest with you," Scott began, his fingers interlocked and his chin propped on top of them. "Esther, you... You can't possibly let anyone know about this, okay?"

Esther frowned in confusion but nodded, seemingly trusting Scott.

"Does... Mitch know?" She nodded towards him, that questioning look still on her face.

"Yes..." He admitted. "I'm... kind of involved in this."

Mitch was terrified of Esther's reaction. He didn't get to see her that often, not to mention talk to her, so he didn't really have any idea of what could possibly happen.

"I brought Mitch because he was there, too."

"Guys." Esther spoke up, slowly losing her patience. "What's going on? Talk to me. First of all, ever since when is Mitch back in town? No offense, but I thought you broke up?"

"Yeah..." Scott bit his lip, avoiding Esther's look. Mitch decided to just not speak for the next few minutes, too intimidated by Scott's manager. "That's kind of the thing. You can't let anyone know he's back, okay? It's a secret."

"Scott, for the love of God, please get to the point, I'm worried."

"Okay, okay, okay..." He let out a deep, shaky breath, his eyes still glued on the white wooden conference room table. "You know Max, right?"

"Your boyfriend?" She furrowed her brows. "I mean sure, I know him."

"He's... blackmailing me. And Mitch, too, in a way."

Esther's frown was immediately replaced with worry. "How is he blackmailing you? What do you mean?"

Instead of answering, Scott pulled out his phone and played the recording. Everything from their argument to the disgusting kissing sound to him admitting it - all caught on tape. Mitch swallowed around the lump in his throat. He felt like crying, but he couldn't. Instead, he found Scott's hand under the table and squeezed his palm to calm himself down at least a little.

Mitch didn't know what to expect. The moment the recording ended, he cringed, waiting for Esther to shout at Scott for not telling her earlier, for keeping it a secret for two full months. But he was met with silence. Real, uncomfortable silence.

"Fuck..." Esther said after what felt like an eternity. "I had no idea. He seemed... nice... I'm so disgusted. We need to get him to court immediately."

"Yeah..." Scott agreed, his voice breaking.

"Tell me, Scott... Are you okay? Did he hurt you?"

"I mean, aside from the obvious, no. I'm as okay as I can be, I guess. Mitchy here," he squeezed his palm, "has been there for me. I couldn't tell him from the start because I was terrified, and I fucked us up, but... He's my everything, you know? I wanna be with him, and I wanna be safe. Nobody is allowed to see Mitch until Max is found guilty by a court of law.

"He will be, I have no doubt about that. So... The public has no idea Mitch is here?"

Both shook their heads but Mitch finally spoke up.