The Big Plans

Scott hid his face behind his hands, shaking, and as soon as Mitch noticed he was right by his side.

"Baby, what happened? What did she say?"

He had just finished his call with Esther, and judging by his reaction... Mitch swallowed the lump in his throat and braced himself for the worst.

"She said-" His voice broke, so he cleared his throat and tried again. "She said I'm fucked. Basically."

"What do you mean?" Mitch furrowed his brows, not really understanding. Was it completely hopeless? But he had all of this evidence.

"The recording is not admissible in court. They can't count it as evidence. Meaning I'm left with nothing."

Fuck. Mitch squeezed his eyes shut to process the news, but he still made sure to keep a comforting hand on Scott's knee.

"You have witnesses. I was there, in the closet. I have your letter where you explain everything. I'm sure Kirstie kept her messages. They can't possibly tell you that you staged all of this."

"If they can't review a recording because of some stupid two-party-consent law, I doubt they'll look at messages or letters. Mitchy... This is it. This is the end of... of everything." He covered his face again, his fingers trembling. Mitch tried to wrap his arms around him.

"Honey. There are still chances we can win this. Did she say anything else? You were on the phone for half an hour..."

Scott nodded. "She said she got the best attorney in all of California. And I have an appointment tomorrow."

"See, that's great, Scotty," Mitch attempted to comfort. "They're gonna tell you what to do. I'm sure we can do it. Max is going to be arrested and we'll be fine."

To be completely honest, Mitch didn't believe what he was saying, but that wasn't the point right now. It was more important to keep Scott's hopes up because without a little bit of hope they would be doomed completely. But there had to be a loophole, right? There was always a loophole somewhere. If a person says they want to do all those terrible things to somebody, how can anyone with an ounce of common sense not think it's worthy evidence? Just because that person didn't know they were being recorded? But then again, who on earth would admit it if they knew they were being recorded?

"Money can't change the law..." Scott suddenly spoke up after a long while of complete silence. 

"Scotty, don't worry. You have an appointment tomorrow. It will be fine. Your defense attorney is going to tell you what you can do. I'm sure there are other possibilities to prove him guilty."

"Like what, Mitch? He's going to lie to everyone and make them believe he's innocent!"

"I don't know," Mitch admitted. "Probably. But you're in the right here, Scotty. They can't possibly prove that you wanted all of this."

"Well, I did say yes, so."

Mitch sighed but looked at Scott with a pained expression. He hated seeing him like this, so vulnerable and hurt.

"Baby..." He put his hand on Scott's shoulder in comfort. "You're so strong. I'm so proud of you. Just remember, whatever happens, I'll love you forever. I can't guarantee this, but I can guarantee that I'll be by your side every second that you need me. I'm here." He intertwined their fingers together and locked eyes with him. "You're not getting rid of me that easily."

Finally, a small smile appeared on Scott's lips.

"I hope so," he whispered. "I really do." He leaned in and pressed a shy kiss to Mitch's lips, making him smile as well.

"I mean it."

"Thank you. So much."

"No need to thank me, baby. I'm here for you."

"Can we do something? I don't wanna think about it anymore. I can't do anything anyways."

"Of course. What do you want to do, sweetheart?"

Scott shrugged. Mitch noticed the dullness in his eyes and for a split second, he wondered if he'd ever see the shine in them again but he quickly caught himself. Of course, he would. As soon as this would be over and Max was pleaded guilty, the old Scott would be back. Maybe not to a hundred percent. But definitely more than this.

"Actually," Scott suddenly spoke up and Mitch thought he could see a hint of a smirk on Scott's lips. Maybe? "I wanted to ask you about something."

"What is it?" Mitch asked, his heart pumping in anxiety but he tried to play it off.

"I probably should've addressed it earlier but..." He made a pause. What was probably only a few seconds to take a breath seemed like an eternity and a half to Mitch. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Mitch couldn't tell if it was just his overall mood right now or if he was genuinely offended.

"I- what?" He asked weakly. He felt like he knew what he was talking about, he just wanted to make sure.

"Your account. Fan account. Did you already have it or did you make it after we met?"

"I- I-" Fight or flight, Mitch. Decide now. "I already had it," he eventually admitted timidly.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

There was a smile on his face. Was he... amused?

"I don't know." Finally, Mitch stopped running away and faced his problem. "Obviously, you didn't want a crazy fangirl as your pretend-boyfriend, so I didn't wanna say it and so I lied, and then I didn't want to ruin what we had so I kept it up and- and- this happened." He gestured wildly with his hands. "Eventually I thought I could use it for something good, that's why I defended us in a post... But I promise I never used it! Except when I... did a singing live stream."

"Mitchy..." Scott sighed, making Mitch flinch. He didn't want to see Scott mad, or worse, disappointed. "I'm not mad at you."

But disappointed, Mitch finished in his mind, silently.

"I would've loved it if you had told me before, but I'm not going to change my opinion about you. Actually, I kind of also think it's funny.'"

"What... does that mean?" Mitch ventured carefully.

"It's not a big deal. I get why you didn't tell me." He shrugged and sat down on the bed. "Compared to the rest, it's even less of a deal. I just wanted to hear it from you. Felt like I... Invaded your privacy or something."

Mitch huffed out a laugh. "Invaded my privacy? It literally involves you."

"I know." Scott smiled. "I don't care. Honestly. I don't. This is one of those things we'll laugh about when we're eighty."

"Yeah." Mitch bit his lip. He made sure not to mention how Scott basically just said he wanted to spend the rest of his life with him. "Hope we still look this good when we're eighty."

"Hell yeah, we will." 

Both avoided eye contact because they both knew exactly what they'd just said. It was something both of them really hoped for from the bottom of their hearts but they figured after not even a year of knowing each other it was too early for big plans. Still, it felt like the right thing to talk about at this moment because it made them feel safe. Maybe they can't have what they dream of, but at least they'll have each other.