chapter 1

Dariah-Imani above in the mm.

••
Dariah-Imani

            I ran as fast I could to Terminal gate B, the door was about to close just as I got there.

         "IM HERE IM HERE" I screeched out of breath as I handed the flight attendant my ticket.

"You got here just in time" She scanned my ticket and made space for me to go through the doors. "Enjoy your flight".

        Once I got in the plane, I walked through the middle and found my seat which was a middle seat causing me to groan silently. "Excuse me, my seats there.." I flashed a fake smile to the grumpy lady who sat on the outside. As soon as I got settled, I let out a deep sigh and closed my eyes preparing to sleep.

.......

     My eyes fluttered open realizing we had landed.. 6 hours on that plane sitting in between a grumpy lady and a farting old man, I'm still amazed that I survived that long. I impatiently waited to hop off the plane and was abruptly stopped by a gentleman in a nice black suit outside the gate.

"Good Afternoon Ma'am, are you Dariah-Imani Brown?" He greeted me.

I had no idea who this man was or how he knew my name — sorry, let me introduce myself and explain what's going on.

"Dariah-Imani Brown to the office please" I heard my name on the speakers while  I was zoning out during our teacher, Mr.Kane's, boring speech about why we need calculus in our life. Silently thanking God, I got my things and left his room down to the front office.

"I was called?" I questioned the principal as to why I was here.

"Yes, sit.. please" She said giving me sympathic eyes.  Which was weird because she was rude as hell on a normal day, but I did as she said anyways and sat down.

"Dariah, your grandma had passed away an hour ago. I'm so sorry for your lost"  She apologized.

I pushed back in my seat. "What..?" I looked in her eyes searching for the truth.

"I'm so sorry Dariah" Principal Nozey got up walking around her desk towards me.

"No..no.. how?" I got up asking her.

"The doctor said her heart had had enough.. She left you a note and social services are on their way since you are still under 18"  She leaned against her desk looking at me sympathetically.

I wiped my tears and took the note from her.

My precious beautiful granddaughter,

if you are reading this then it means that I had passed away. I want you to know that I love you with all my heart and I know you will make it through and grow into an even more intelligent black woman . I fought to stay with you but my heart couldn't take it anymore, im now in a better place so stay strong for me. I had never told you that you have an older brother in los angeles and you will most likely be sent to stay with him.

   Take care, Love Nana.

I hadn't realized I was crying until Principal Nozey handed me a tissue box. I declined them as I wiped my tears with my sleeve.