chapter 27

••

Alicia Alvoro

Someone kept ringing the doorbell like they were the damn police.

I slid Chris's head on the bed and got up going downstairs to open the door.

"Um can I help you?" I asked the two people outside that were dressed in blue and black.

"Is Dariah-Imani Brown here?" The white guy with a shaved head said.

"Who are you?" I asked, trying to avoid bringing her up.

"We're with Immigration and Customs Enforcement"

Oh shit.. ICE.

"I..um.. I'm sorry what?" I tripped over my words, trying to come up with a quick lie.

"Where is Dariah-Imani Brown?" The officer asked again, clearly annoyed.

"I don't know who that is, sorry" I quickly said,attempting to shut the door but he stuck his foot there blocking it.

"Ma'am by lying to us, we could detain you as well. now please, where is Dariah?" He told me.

"She's not here"

"So where is she"

"I don't know"

"Well we will wait here until she comes back"

I was shitting bricks inside, I couldn't let her down not again. I had to think quick.

"Okay we'll wait outside" I said and shut the door. I ran upstairs to wake Chris up. "CHRIS CHRIS" I kept pushing him but he wouldn't wake up.

"Mm go away baby" Chris said in his sleep.

"CHRISTOPHER FUCKING BROWN, DARIAH IS IN TROUBLE" I screamed which woke him completely up.

"What?" He said, rubbing his eyes. "What do you mean she's in trouble?"

"Fucking ICE is here looking for her" I stressed.

"You told them she wasn't here right?" Now he was standing up and fully away, heading to Dariah's baby room.

"I mean I tried but they hardheaded so they weren't going nowhere" I followed after him.

"So where they at?" He asked once we got to her room.

"Downstairs.."

"HUH? I refuse to believe you're that dumb. I refuse"

"I tried to get them to go away but" Chris held his hand up letting me know to shut up so that's what I did.

"Call David and tell him to bring his ass. fast" Hr said to me then woke up Dariah.

"What? Oh my God the party! Why am I up here" Dariah panicked and tried to leave but Chris pulled her back.

"Shut the fuck up for one second and listen to me. I need you to stay calm for you and the baby's sake, I need you to put your shoes on and take the exit out back" Chris said to her.