22

Mark was a very stubborn person. He had hard time admitting defeat, especially when he didn't see the enemy he was fighting.

He thought that Donghyuck was just acting or was just sad because he realized how big of a jerk he really was.

He never thought it was something really serious. He knew Donghyuck was fucked up in the head but he never even thought about that having anything to do with his sad demeanor.

That was until that one day when the younger just couldn't get up. Mark was horrified. He didn't understand.
Donghyuck was lying there in the bed, curled up and crying. He was crying.

There wasn't a sound coming from him, but sure as hell those were tears on his cheeks. His eyes were hollow and lost, staring into oblivion.

The older tried to get him up, talk to him, bribe him with food and who knows what else but Donghyuck didn't budge. He just laid there with tear streaks on his cheeks and occasional shudder of his shoulder.

He couldn't go on anymore.

Mark was afraid. This kind of behavior was completely unnatural for the younger male. It was a complete opposite and Mark didn't know how to handle it. He just wanted to run out and shut the door, break something, scream his throat hoarse.

But he couldn't.

He couldn't leave Donghyuck alone. Not like this. Not now when he looked so small and fragile. Not now when he needed someone to be there for him, to help him through whatever is going on.

Mark called the only person he could think of, Jaemin, and explained him the situation.

Jaemin sighed, telling Mark about Donghyuck's problem with depression. The older was taken aback, wondering how he never noticed it, until Jaemin admitted that he himself thought that Donghyuck was getting better.

Apparently, Donghyuck fooled them both.

Jaemin asked him does he want to take Donghyuck back to his apartment, but Mark refused.

Donghyuck was his responsibility now. He will handle him. He could do it. He already knew something was wrong with Donghyuck and putting a name on it made the whole thing a little easier.

He could look it up and learn how to help the smaller guy feel better. He arranged with Jaemin that Jeno will bring Donghyuck's medications over, with a good luck wish from Jaemin.

Mark looked Donghyuck. Taking a deep breath and pleading his nerves not to give in now and get upset over the younger one, he sat down next to him and took his hand.

The younger flinched but didn't pull back and Mark took that as a positive sign.

"Hey, Donghyuck…do you…um, wanna talk about it?"

Now that he thought about it. Mark knew nothing of depression. He figured it was like being super sad, so he just went with that assumption and tried to cheer Donghyuck up.

However the younger gave no response and just curled up further. Mark didn't let go of his hand though and gave it a small, reassuring squeeze, careful not to use too much of his strength.

"I called Jaemin. He said you have depression and Jeno will be here soon with your meds"

He was met with silence once again.

"Look I don't really know what I'm supposed to do, so…I guess I'll just sit here and blabber like an idiot until Jeno comes or something"

This time Donghyuck squeezed his hand and Mark took that as a yes, so staying true to his word he ranted on about pretty much anything he could think off.

He would squeeze Donghyuck's hand from time to time, telling him he was here and sometimes Donghyuck would squeeze back. Though, he didn't speak up.

He just stared at the wall numbly and blankly and Mark realized how much of a jerk he himself was. Why couldn't he notice this? Why couldn't he notice how much the younger was struggling?

All because of his stupid grudge. Sure Donghyuck was a bad person but he seemed so much in pain right now.

Mark wasn't a type of man to celebrate his enemy's defeat.

He felt sorry for him. Wanted to help, to make that hollow expression go away.

He just didn't know how.

Soon enough Jeno came, with Donghyuck's medications, Jaemin's instructions and some of Yukhei's famous dumpling.

Mark smiled at the thoughtfulness of his friend. Just like him, Jeno never really liked Donghyuck, but obviously he too was able to step over it now that Donghyuck really needed help. Mark hoped Donghyuck would appreciate it once he got better.

And Mark would make sure he did get better.

After thanking Jeno and filling a glass of water he trailed back to the bedroom. Donghyuck hasn't moved an inch.

"Come on, Donghyuck, you need to take your medicine" he prompted and once the younger failed to respond, he helped him sit up, popped the pill in his mouth and helped him drink the water.

Donghyuck went through the whole ordeal quietly, seeming uninterested in what is happening to him.

As soon as Mark let go of him, he slumped back down in the previous position. Mark sighed and unpacked the beef dumpling, hoping that Donghyuck's favorite food will bring his spirits up.

"Look Donghyuck, Jeno brought dumpling. Everyone is really worried and wants you to get better. You should eat some" he said, fighting to sound sympathetic and kind even thought that went completely against his nature around the younger.

That's when Donghyuck spoke up. For the first time that day.

"He doesn't care. Nobody cares. Everybody hates me. I just want to die already"

Mark didn't know how to respond. He didn't want to confirm it and get Donghyuck even more depressed than he already was.

He also didn't want to lie, because Donghyuck was smart and would figure it out, even in the shape he was in right now.

Besides, the younger didn't seem to be looking for an answer. It was a statement on his part. The truth that hurt him.

Mark wasn't sure what to say so he settled on saying the only thing he knew was true.

"I care, Donghyuck. I care and I won't let you die"

Donghyuck didn't answer. He just squeezed his hand tighter.