23

"Donghyuck, it's eight o'clock. Time to get up"

"I don't want to. I'm tired"

"You've slept enough. You need to move a bit so you don't get stiff. Come on, let's have a breakfast"

"…okay"

For the past few days Mark was tending to Donghyuck, making sure that the younger one got out of the bed, ate, bathed and moved around. Mark wasn't the expert, but he was pretty sure that staying cooped in did little to no good to Donghyuck's health.

And since Donghyuck seemed largely unmotivated to do anything, Mark had to be there to prompt him.

Right now the younger sat across from him at the table, apathetically playing with his food. He no longer tried to hide his sadness behind smiles and grins and teasing words.

He no longer hid his feelings. Mark was glad Donghyuck was being honest, but the face that honesty had scared him.

He has never seen Donghyuck so expressionless.

Donghyuck looked like his entire life lost its purpose to him. He would stare at same spot for hours, curling up on the bed or the couch. He rarely spoke, unless Mark asked him something first. He barely ate.

It worried Mark. Sure Donghyuck was his enemy but he was still a person. A person who was suffering. A person who loved him was suffering. He wanted to help, but he didn't know how.

Donghyuck was tired. No matter how much he slept he was so tired. He would go to sleep early every night, but he would sleep restlessly, his dreams terrifying and exhausting.

They were filled with grey, unaccepting world that laughed and mocked him. The ground would always start sinking and twisting around him, like demonic quick sand. Hands would reach from it, faces of people that he's done wrong, faces of people who hurt him, hated him.

They would pull him down until just his head was above the surface. He would beg and cry and plead, his heart beating a mile in a minute, his cries would be stifled down by the black sand that tasted like mud. Fear of death would claw at his heart.

Then Mark would appear. The darkness ran from him like he was the light itself. And for Donghyuck that was true. He would cry in relief, trying to reach his hands up to him, but they were still covered in grime. Mark was speaking to him, but he couldn't hear, because black sand got into his ears.

But then, he would hear. When Mark got close enough. When he kneeled down and put his hand on Donghyuck's head, as if to pat him comfortingly.

"Disgusting."

"Monster."

"You make me sick."

"I wish you would just die."

"But no, you had to ruin my life."

"Louse."

"And then you come and whore yourself out to me."

"Do you really think I want you?"

"Do you think anybody wants you?"

"You are a burden to me, burden to the whole world."

"Everything would be so much better if you were never born."

"Are you crying? How revolting. The least you could do is take your death like a man."

"But you are just a pathetic little bastard."

"Nobody wants you, nobody cares about you."

"You."