Chapter 1

Vanessa's POV

I sat in my seat on the quiet, dark plane as we flew in silence. I tried to fall asleep, but it was no use. I was meeting my best friend in LA, where I was gonna stay with her for awhile. I needed to get out of New York. New York was my home, but I felt like I belonged somewhere else at the moment. And plus I wanted to get away from certain problems.

I bopped my head to the quiet music flowing into my ears, from my headphones. I rested my head on the window and gazed out at the dark clouds and distant stars. Something about being above the clouds felt peaceful and calming. I looked away from the window and noticed how everyone else was asleep. I closed my eyes and leaned my head back.

And before I knew it, I was asleep.

Several hours later.

I stepped off the plane, trying to wake up my stiff legs. I dragged my luggage around with me as I tried to spot for my friend. Then I heard someone call my name.

"Vanessa!"

I turned around to see her beautiful, round face. "Cami!"

We ran towards each other, immediately hugging. I held onto her as I rested my chin on her shoulder. She leaned her head against mine, rubbing my back. We eventually pulled away and she smiled at me.

"How was the flight?" she asked, as she carried one of my bags.

"It was alright," I said. It was very early in the morning and I literally felt like crashing onto a bed right now and passing out. She took me to her car and we put my luggage into her trunk. I hopped into the passenger seat and leaned my head back. She got into the driver's seat, closing the door. She smiled at me and started the car.

"Tired?" she laughed.

"Very," I smiled.

"Don't worry, we'll be back at my place soon."

"Thanks for letting me stay Cami."

"Anything for my bestie," she winked. We drove out of the airport and onto the highway. I took notice of all the pretty LA lights and how they reflected against the early morning sky. Buildings and skyscrapers along with apartments, stood tall and still. I pulled down the window for fresh air, as Cami turned up the music slightly. I let the wind hit my face, as my hair flew back.

"I think you're really gonna like LA," Cami said once we got back to her apartment.

"I think I will," I responded. She locked her car as we headed upstairs, carrying my things. She took out a little key from her pocket and opened the door. We stepped inside, as I took off my shoes. The first thing I noticed about it, was how modern and clean it was. The walls looked recently painted. A long couch and a few chairs sat around a TV that was propped up against the wall. Several succulents in small pots sat on the windowsills. Pictures covered almost every surface.

We headed into her kitchen. Pots and pans sat on a rack attached to the ceiling. More pictures and magnets stuck to her refrigerator. A grocery bag sat on the counter, along with some plates, and towels.

"I just got this kitchen remodeled. It was really ugly before," she sighed as she opened her fridge.

"It's really nice!" I smiled.

"Thank you! You hungry?" she asked. I shook my head.

"Want some tea?" she asked, opening the cupboard.

I nodded and smiled. "Sure."

Awhile later.

We sat on her couch, as we sipped our hot tea slowly. She had turned on the TV, but instead of watching it we were busy talking to one another.

"So how's everything..with your acting career?" she asked me.

I looked down, kind of embarrassed to talk about the situation. Back in New York, it was hard for me to find good acting jobs. And I always got rejected. So, you could say I was giving up on my "career".

"It's..it's okay," I lied. But, Cami saw right through me. She placed her hand on mine.

"V..it's okay. You can talk to me." I smiled at what she said. But, I didn't really feel like talking about it.

"Really, though I'm fine. How's your acting going?" I said, changing the subject.

She sat up and a grin spread across her face. "I'm auditioning for that new show called Riverdale."

I sat up. "For what part?"

"Veronica" she smiled.

"That's so cool! That's amazing! I'm so proud of you!"

"Thanks! And you should totally audition too!"

I raised my eyebrow. "For which part?"

"Josie! You would also get to sing! V..that's like your dream. To sing and act," she said.

I thought about it for a second. Of course, she was right. Singing and acting were both my dreams. Ever since I was little, those have been my dreams. But, I was so afraid of getting rejected again. I grew nervous just thinking about it.

"Well..you don't need to think about it now. It was just a thought," she said placing her hand on my shoulder.

We eventually got ready for bed, me sleeping in her guest bedroom. We said goodnight to one another, as I turned off the lights and crashed onto the bed. I pulled the covers over me, as I rested my head on the pillow. And then I drifted off to sleep.