Chapter 17

Madelaine's POV

We were walking back to the car, now done with our meals. It was getting dark, the pink clouds turning blue as the sun set. I tapped Cami on the shoulder, who was walking in front of me. She turned around quickly.

"Hey..what's up with Vanessa?" I asked. She shrugged.

"I know you know," I said.

"Look..you say you like Vanessa but here you are in a relationship with Travis. I'm all here for you liking whoever you want..but you need to make up your mind," she said.

I didn't respond. Because I knew she was right. But, I still didn't fully understand why Vanessa was mad. I wanted to believe that she actually liked me back. But, I just didn't think that was even possible.

Jordan got into the driver's seat, as the rest of us climbed into the back. I tried to move to sit next to Vanessa, but Charles was faster. He slid in next to her and smiled at a sad Vanessa. I gritted my teeth as I saw her smile back at him. I sat down next to Lili and Cole, sitting behind Charles and Vanessa. Everyone was talkative the whole way to the vacation house. But, I was quiet. My eyes were focused on Vanessa the whole time. I began to notice Charles flirting with Vanessa and she was clearly enjoying it because she kept doing it back.

At around 9:00 pm, we finally pulled up to the vacation house. The sun had now disappeared and was replaced by the bright moon and dark sky. We all piled out of the car, dragging our luggage with us. Cole took keys out of his pocket, opening the front door. Charles immediately crashed on the couch. I rolled my eyes at his obnoxious behavior as I set my things down. We all took off our shoes and spread out around the house. I watched Vanessa as she and Cami walked away into the kitchen. I quietly followed them, as I began to hear them talk.

"Vanessa..I'm really sorry," Cami said.

"Whatever I don't care," Vanessa said. What did she not care about?

"You clearly do."

"No..I clearly don't. I don't wanna talk about this right now. I just wanna sleep."

I quickly walked away, acting like I hadn't been eavesdropping. I plopped down on the couch next to Casey. Cami and Vanessa reentered the room, Vanessa sitting down next to Charles. After awhile of everyone talking, Cami stood up.

"Okay so Lili and Cole will obviously get there own room," she winked at them.

"I guess y'all can decide who you wanna sleep with then," Cami smiled at Vanessa.

Everyone stood up casually, picking their roommates. I watched as Charles asked Vanessa, but she playfully said no. He shrugged as he walked away. From what I could tell, everyone had found someone.

Except for me.

And except for Vanessa.

Of course.

She stared at me blankly. Everyone had made their way upstairs, leaving us in the living room.

"Okay..I guess it's gonna be me and you then," I shrugged. She looked down awkwardly, but I grabbed her hand and dragged her upstairs.

If Cami wanted me to confirm my feelings, I was going to do it. Even though I knew I was going to get hurt. Even though I knew it would destroy me.

I was going to do it.