Chapter 8

Vanessa's POV

"Are you nervous for the auditions?" I asked Cami, as we got ready.

"Of course!" she said, putting on her makeup. I decided to try my best to dress the part. I had done some research on the character. I put on the cat ears I had bought for the outfit, as the finishing touch. I turned to Cami, smiling.

"How do I look?" I asked. Her mouth dropped.

"You look so adorable! You're definitely gonna get the part!" Cami smiled. I sat on the bed, watching Cami do her makeup. She was wearing a short, plaid skirt along with a black top, heels, and a pearl necklace. She styled her short hair and had gotten her nails done. She looked just like Veronica.

Awhile later

We walked into the building, my palms beginning to sweat. I hadn't auditioned for anything in awhile, but Cami had been practicing with me. I knew deep down that I could do this, I was just so afraid of what other people would think or say.

I closed the door behind me and we made our way down a hallway, turning a few corners. A line of empty chairs sat against a long, narrow wall up ahead.

"I'm gonna go get water," Cami said. She set her things down and left the room. I sat down and quickly realized there were other nervous people sitting next to me. Some were on their phones, some were fidgeting with their hands, others were just quiet. But, then I heard a familiar giggle. I looked up to see her sitting across the room.

Madelaine.

But, she wasn't alone.

I felt my face turn red when I saw the random guy she was talking to. He had short, black hair and was wearing an all black outfit. He was smiling at Mads, sitting quite close to her. The two were in the middle of a conversation and Mads seemed extremely happy, but I couldn't help but feel angry.

"Hey V? What's wrong?" Cami asked, sitting down next to me.

"Nothing," I said quietly. Mads hadn't noticed us yet, but I was glad.

Cami rubbed my back and took a sip of her water. "Everything's gonna be ok. I'm here V, you don't need to worry," she smiled. She stared at me for a little longer until she kissed me on my head, making me blush. I rested my head on her shoulder, trying to calm myself. That is until her name was called.

"Camila Mendes..we're ready for you now," a man announced, coming into the room holding a clipboard. Cami smiled at the man and stood up. Before she walked off, I grabbed her hand.

"You got this," I said.

"Thanks V," she smiled at me.

And then she left, leaving me alone. I placed my chin in my hand, staring off into space. But, then I felt eyes on me.

"Nessa?" Mads asked. My eyes shot towards her. She smiled at me and stood up, walking over. I fakely smiled, looking at the ground.

"I'm so glad you're here! What's wrong though?" she asked, sitting down next to me. I shook my head not responding. I didn't even know why I was being an ass towards her. Why did I feel jealous when I saw her talking to another guy? I shouldn't feel jealous. I shouldn't even be upset. But, I part of me said that I wanted to be in that guy's position. I wanted to be the one she looked at like that. I wanted to be the one she smiled at. But, I didn't know I was thinking this way.

"Okay..well this is Travis. Travis this is Vanessa," she said. I looked up at the taller guy. He smiled at me and extended his hand out.

"Hi!" he said.

I lightly shook his hand saying 'hi' back. And to make things worse, he decided to sit down next to us.

Great. Fucking great.

There was an awkward silence between all of us, until Travis spoke up. "So..what part are you auditioning for?"

"Josie," I said dryly.

"Oh cool! I'm auditioning for Jughead," he said. I didn't make eye contact with him, but I could feel both of their eyes on me. I was being so immature, I didn't know I was reacting this way. After what seemed like forever, the same man finally came back into the room.

"Travis Mills?" he asked. Travis stood up and left, saying goodbye to Mads and I.

"Nessa..what's wrong? Are you just nervous?" she asked.

"I'm fine," I said.

She placed her hand on my thigh, making me tense up. "You're clearly not. Talk to me," she said.

I opened my mouth to respond, but then I saw Cami walk back into the room. A giant grin was on her face. I stood up, Mads taking her hand off of my leg. I ran towards Cami, pulling her in for a hug. She lightly picked me up, hugging me tightly.

"So how'd you do?" I asked her, once we pulled away from each other.

"I think I did good! The casting directors seemed to like me a lot! I really hope I get the part!" she said, excitedly. But before we could celebrate, my name was called.

"Vanessa Morgan..auditioning for the role of Josie? We're ready for you now," the woman said reading off of the clipboard in her hands.

"You got this V," Cami smiled at me. I nervously nodded, quickly grabbing her hand.

"I'm really nervous Cami," I admitted. She squeezed my hands, pulling me in closer.

"You're amazing Vanessa. You will be fine, I guarantee that. And after this we're getting ice cream so just think about that instead," she winked at me. I giggled and nodded, finally turning away to follow the woman. But, before I left the room Mads grabbed my hand. I turned to her.

"You're gonna do great Nessa," she smiled. I nodded and faintly smiled back. She let go of my hand and I left the room.