Chapter 3

Madelaine's POV

We got out of my car, Lili grabbing her purse. As we got closer to the coffee shop I noticed Cami and the other girl at the end of the block. I turned to Lili, but she was already running. I laughed as we both ran to meet Cami. Cami looked up from her phone and charged towards us. And before I knew it, all three of us were in one giant hug.

"I missed you guys so much!" Cami said.

"We literally just saw you like two days ago," Lili laughed.

"Still!" Cami smiled. We broke apart from the hug, realizing the other girl was standing there. I observed her, as she shyly looked at the ground. And oh my god, was she cute. She was a little shorter than Lili and I, but I even found her size adorable. Her long, wavy hair covered her face. Her light brown skin, shined against the afternoon sun. Her lips looked incredibly soft and her eyes glimmered.

"Mads, Lili..this is Vanessa. Vanessa this is Mads and Lili," Cami said.

Vanessa. Part of me felt slightly better, now knowing the girl's name. I watched her closely as she shook Lili's hand and said 'hi'. She then turned to me. My heart slowed down for a moment, as I stared at her. I began to blush as I noticed how attractive she was. But, I stopped myself. Because I knew I wasn't into girls. And I could never see myself with one. I began to realize that she wasn't saying anything, which made me nervous.

"Um V? You good?" Cami asked, tapping her on the shoulder. And she immediately snapped out of it. She either thought I was really ugly and didn't know what to say or thought I was really hot and was in awe of my beauty. I didn't know.

I extended my hand out, smiling at her. "Hi!" I said. She slowly shook my hand, managing to say 'hi' back quietly. My heart fluttered at her innocent touch, as she looked down at the ground. She then quickly let go of my hand.

"Coffee time!" Cami finally announced. She took Lili's hand as she skipped ahead, leaving Vanessa and I together. I eventually turned to Vanessa, smiling at her. I could tell she was avoiding eye contact with me, but I didn't know why. Was she just shy? I held the door open for her, as she quietly thanked me and walked in.