Chapter 9

Madelaine's POV

I walked into the building feeling extremely nervous. I had been thinking about Vanessa the whole day, wondering if she was actually gonna show up to the auditions. I sat down in an empty chair, clutching onto my purse.

"Is this seat taken?" a deep voice asked me. I looked up to see a cute guy in an all black outfit standing above me. A small smile spread across his face. I shook my head and blushed, noticing how cute he was. He sat down, shaking my hand.

"I'm Travis!" he grinned. I laughed and smiled.

"I'm Madelaine!" I replied.

"So you're auditioning for Cheryl?" he asked.

"How'd you know?" I asked. He pointed to my hair and laughed.

"And you're auditioning for Jughead?" I asked him.

"How'd you know?" he laughed.

"The black outfit kinda gave it away," I smiled.

The two of us got into talking about our careers and he was apparently a rapper. He was really cute. I couldn't get over that thought. He had beautiful eyes and a bright smile. Everything about him seemed to yell "happy!" He was also extremely friendly. I couldn't help but blush just a little. He was also really funny. I felt myself calm down as I continued to talk to him.

"Camila Mendes..we're ready for you now," a man announced walking into the room.

Camila?

I looked up to see Camila following the man out of the room. And then I noticed her.

Vanessa.

She was now sitting alone, looking upset and disappointed. How had I not noticed her earlier?

"Nessa?" I asked. She quickly looked at me, not saying anything. I stood up and smiled at her, walking over. She fakely smiled at me, then looked at the ground. I gave her a confused look as I sat down next to her.

"I'm so glad you're here! What's wrong though?" I asked. She shook her head at me, not making eye contact. I felt hurt, not because she was acting cold towards me, but because I didn't like seeing her like this.

"Okay..well this is Travis. Travis this is Vanessa," I introduced the two to each other.

"Hi!" Travis said, extending his hand out.

"Hi," Vanessa said quietly. She softly shook his hand, barely smiling.

Travis sat down next to me, as I noticed Vanessa roll her eyes. There was an awkward silence between all of us and I didn't know what to say.

"So..what part are you auditioning for?" Travis asked.

"Josie," Vanessa said quietly.

"Oh cool! I'm auditioning for Jughead," Travis smiled at her. But, Vanessa didn't say anything. She didn't even make eye contact. It was bothering me like crazy but I didn't know what to say to her.

"Travis Mills?" the same man walked back into the room. Travis stood up, saying goodbye to us, and leaving. Now it was just Vanessa and I.

"Nessa..what's wrong? Are you just nervous?" I asked.

"I'm fine," she said.

I shook my head and placed my hand, lightly on her thigh. "You're clearly not. Talk to me," I said.

She turned her head towards me, opening her mouth to respond. But, her eyes drifted past me. I turned around to see Cami walking back into the room, smiling. Vanessa stood up quickly, as I moved my hand away. Her entire expression changed when she saw Cami. She ran towards her hugging her tightly, as Cami lifted her into the air. I felt my face grow warm as I frowned, not pleased to see this happen right in front of me. I didn't like how close they were. I didn't like how tight they were hugging.

I wanted to hug Vanessa.

The two celebrated for a moment, until Vanessa's name was called. As Vanessa walked past me to leave the room, I grabbed her hand. She turned towards me.

"You're gonna do great Nessa," I smiled. She nodded and faintly smiled back. She let go of my hand and left the room.

"Hey Mads! How'd your audition go?" Cami asked, finally sitting down next to me.

"I didn't go yet," I said quietly.

"You okay?" she asked, putting her hand on my shoulder. I shook my head.

"I just wanna know why Vanessa is upset," I sighed.

"Yeah..I don't know. When we got here..her entire mood changed," Cami said.

"Madelaine Petsch?" a different man announced, walking into the room.

I stood up, as Cami wished me luck. But, I was extremely sad now. Because there was only one person and one person only on my mind right now.

And that was Vanessa.