Chapter 34

"What have you been up to today?" Naruto laughed from his seat as I entered Yakiniku-Konoha's barbecue beef joint. I had a few bags in one hand and Kay was holding my other hand.

"You can't tell?" I answered flatly, looking down at my attire. I was now wearing a light blue knee length sun dress with cap sleeves. 

Kakashi was sitting on the other side of the booth facing Naruto and poked his head around the side. His eyes went wide in surprise as he eyed me, then he suppressed a chuckle as he noticed Kay was wearing the same thing. "How did that even manage to happen?" He asked in honest shock that I was wearing a dress, and twinsies with a three year old. 

I sighed while helping Kay into the booth next to Kakashi, then scooting in after. Sakura trailed in the door behind us and took up the last spot by me. Choji and Ino had joined, sitting on Naruto's side, wanting to spend time with Kay while she was with us. "Well, we went to get clothes that Kay could wear while she is with us...and I should have known nothing good could have come from going clothes shopping with Sakura" I grumbled the last part as I opened up the kids menu and crayons for Kay to play with. 

"Oh my god, children's clothes are so adorable! I can't believe you left me out" Ino pouted, then glared at Sakura. Her natural skills to blame Sakura for everything were still on point. 

"That reminds me, you forgot this!" I looked at Sakura confused and she seized the moment to quickly clip back my bangs with a barrette. "Now you fully match" She smiled triumphantly at her handy work and I gave her a little glare. 

"She got Kay to help gang up on me when she found the matching outfits. This is the second time you've foiled me into a dress."

"And it won't be the last" She quipped.

"Wait...you're in a dress because you were ganged up on by Sakura and a child?" Choji asked, confused.

Sakura tapped Kay's shoulder, "Help me pout again"  Apparently she learned a few words, some to her advantage. Kay gave her a grin and a nod, then they looked together at Choji giving their best pouty face. Sakura's by itself probably wouldn't have been enough, but add in Kay's puppy dog eyes and anyone would be sunk. And all of them 'awing' was proof enough.

"Okay, yep I see it. That was too adorable."

"Oh! And I almost forgot-"

"-I didn't care for the last thing you 'forgot'" I mumbled, trying not to fiddle with the dainty little barrette in my hair. 

Sakura scowled at me and swat my wrist lightly at my behavior. She handed me the bag she was holding and I peered inside to find more barrettes, pins and hair ties. "For Kay to be able to use when she plays with your hair."

Ino gasped and dropped a bag that had been on the seat by her onto the table. "I thought the same thing!" 

A little hesitantly, I grabbed the bag and opened it. "You thought I needed make-up?" I asked a little confused.

"No! I always loved playing make-up with my mom when I was little. This is just some old make-up, in case she likes it too." Ino answered. 

Kay noticed the bag and leaned over the table on her palms to peer inside curiously. Apparently she liked playing make-up too, and recognizing the contents, she started rifling through the bag. She grabbed a tube of lipstick, then turned  to me excitedly in my lap. Oh no 

She popped off the cap to reveal a red lipstick. Her eyes were full of excitement, then changed back to those puppy dogs with a pout again "Please"

I sighed in defeat, "Okay, but only the lipstick. Then we eat." 

I glanced at Kakashi in my peripheral, who wasn't even trying to suppress his chuckle. Kay's tiny hand grabbed my chin to hold me steady and then she began to smear the lipstick over my lips. After a minute she pulled away to examine her work and grinned. "So, how do I look?" I asked them as if I didn't already know the answer. Naruto pursed his lips trying not to laugh and just gave me an 'okay' signal.