Chapter 22

I walked through the streets of the Festival, taking my time as I observed who had already started performing. I enjoyed listening to the different people who had jumped on a stage and picked up an instrument. But none of the songs had called to me yet to hop on up and join them.

Down the street I caught the sound of an assortment of drums playing. The music was much more lively than the rest. Something that made you want to move to the beat.

Down another connecting street, a blonde boy found himself unable to stop the tap of his feet as the rhythmic music caught his attention as well. He looked down the street toward the sound, and as luck would have it, his blue eyes landed on his original target.

He called out my name, but I was so focused on finding that music that I tuned everything else out.

Naruto reached a hand toward the sky, shooting off a small pink flare. Anyone else might mistake it for a firework during the festival, but Kakashi and Sakura knew it meant he spotted Keiko. Naruto picked up his pace to follow after her, shooting out a few more flares as he went to make sure they knew the direction to follow.

I finally tracked down the music that had lured me in, and it was no wonder it was so rhythmic and lively. It wasn't a song just intended to be listened to-it was a beat, a flow, intended to be danced to. From the distance, it only looked like a group of dancers, but the closer I got the bigger it grew until it seemed a group of 15+ people.

I stood there in awe for a moment just watching the dance. And this wasn't just a free-for-all dance. It looked like someone coreographed it and damn it looked fun. I watched the pattern of the movements avidly, wanting to try it for myself. But then I noticed this dance couldn't be completed without a partner. I could sashay and twirl all I wanted, but it would be quite difficult to lift myself off the ground like that.

Another lover of the art stood next to me and noticed the crestfallen expression on my face. He was quite a few years older than me-maybe 18 or so (Remember your memory is wonky right now. I know you're really 17, but that's not what you think you are right now) with long black hair tucked into a loose ponytail at the nape of his neck and eyes as blue as the sky. "You look ready to hop in?" He chuckled next to me.

His voice finally broke me from the trance I had been in watching the display. I looked around me for whoever he must have been talking to before finally meeting his gaze looking quite confused. "yes, you" he chuckled again. He flashed me a bright smile and I felt myself blush.

"I would like to..."

"I would like to see that myself-" I blushed furiously. Why would such an older boy be so curious in me? I'm barely a teenager "-so what's holding you back?"

"W-well...I don't have a part-" before I could finish my sentence, he held out his palm to me in a dramatic gentlemanly fashion.

"You were saying?" He asked with a wink as he waited for me to take his hand.

"I was saying..." I dared myself to be courageous and took his hand "...that I better get out there now that I have a partner" I giggled and ran over to the crowd of dancers.

As the right moment came to join the throng in time with them, I let go of his hand and he jumped in line beside me. I beamed brightly and laughed as I fell in line, matching step for step. It was hard to contain myself when my 'partner' almost slipped and took us both out.

(I thought about it, but I'd probably completely screw up trying to write that kind of dancing...so, I add this video as an idea... you can watch the whole thing if you want, but what I'm picturing starts at about 2 1/2 minutes in)