Prologue

You set up your camera in the living room of your small apartment. You put your black mask on and backed up a bit.

"Ok, so guys, we're gonna do a review today. It's literally like five in the morning and Red Velvet just came out with their new comeback. I swear these unholy times I must wake up to just to see a three-minute video. But it's worth it."

You took your already unlocked laptop and swiped the mousepad. Seeing it opening it to YouTube.

"Y'all don't even know how excited I am for this. It's called Bad Boy so I'm a bit scared and excited at the same time."

You pressed play, looking at the video in silence and shock.

When it finished, you began to give your review.

"So guys. I-wow, um, ok. I am shocked. I feel attacked. My bias was just simply everything in that. I know you're not watching right now but OH MY GOSH GET IT BAE. I mean, if she's gonna be all badass like that she deserves it. Review done, I'm gonna go and try to sleep while trying to listen to Billie Ellish because I lowkey like her songs. So peace out."

You stopped recording and plugged the camera into your laptop to begin editing, you were planning to upload it to YouTube in about an hour.

The video didn't take long to edit, but once you were done you realized you had an essay to write. So you quickly got off of YouTube and opened a Word document, beginning to type about the function of the frontal cortex and it's importance to human behavior.

"You mask still isn't off." Grace, your best friend told you.

"So? I'm not recording."

"Take it off, freak." She said with a tone of fatigue in her voice.

You listened to her with a deep sigh. "Fine."

"You know, I still don't see why we have to wear masks, being famous would be cool."

"We're on YouTube, not MTV." You snapped back. "We wouldn't be famous even if we did show our faces."

"But we would have at least one person coming up to us. That'd be cool don't you think?"

"Ok, but imagine you having someone come up to you in the middle of a dance recital, or people not liking you because you're just so known. Or fake friends because they want to be famous themselves, you really want all of that?"

"Yes."

"No. I'm staying Masked Dancer, you're staying Jackie."

"Ugh." She said as she turned and exited the room. "You're making breakfast!" She screamed from her room.

You nodded and continued with your work. "I didn't hear an okay?" You heard from the room.

"Okay!"