Chapter 4 - Simon

Simon's point of view

It was impossible to keep up with Dylan. Instead of feeling disheartened by my first experience with running through the woods, I promised myself to try it at least one more time, since Demona had loved it so much. Lately, I'd been trying to feel closer to Dem by doing all the things she loves: running, playing Guitar Hero, blasting songs through the dorm...

My muscles protested as I picked up my pace to get to the hospital as soon as possible. Maybe it hadn't been wise to ask Dylan to accompany on my first ever work-out. He was a muscular vampire and I a bookish fairy. Failure guaranteed.

My hair was still wet from the shower I'd taken in Dylan's motel room. I felt sad for him that he now lived in that dump. I understood that he wanted to be close to both Eros and Demona, but he was making himself miserable. At least he had Carl to get him out of his funk once in a while.

Nodding my head to the beat of the song blasting into my ears, I waited for the sliding doors of the hospital to go open. I'd gotten a ride with Sheila to Dylan's place, since she had wanted to stop by Dem after school. It was late now and I should find a way back to school soon if I wanted to make curfew, but I just needed to stop by Dem for a sec. I had been with her for half an hour earlier that day, but it never seemed to be enough.

When I walked into Dem's room, I was surprised to see Sheila sitting on the edge of Dem's bed, talking to her. The music in my ears kept me from hearing the exact words. I had expected her to be long gone, since she'd dropped me off at Dylan's place two hours ago. Surely she hadn't been here that long?

"Hey!" I took off my headphones before approaching her. "You're here late!"

It wasn't until she turned around to smile up at me that I realized she was crying. Her face was red and her make-up was all over the place. Sniffling, she wiped her eyes with her sleeve.

"I'm sorry," she said, getting up from Dem's bed. "You want a moment with her. I'll leave."

"Sheila..." I gestured for her to sit back down. "There's enough space for the two of us in here."

She sat back down, but seemed uncomfortable. I'd never seen her this way before. But then again, I didn't know her all that well. For a long time, she'd been Dem's fiercest rival, but they'd been on speaking terms by the time Dem slipped into her coma. I wondered what Sheila had been talking to Dem about. They hadn't been friends, so it was hard for me to think of any reason why Sheila might be this upset about the whole thing. Surely there had to be something else going on.

"Are you okay?" I got her a tissue from Dem's nightstand before pulling up a chair so I could sit by the two of them.

Sheila blew her nose and shrugged. "Compared to Demona, I don't think I have a right to complain."

I put my hand on her knee and squeezed softly. A strong wish to talk to someone emanated from Sheila, but I didn't truly need my fairy powers to know that. Someone who sits in a room with a comatose girl for hours obviously needs someone to talk to.

"That would mean no one could ever complain again. There is always someone who's got it worse than you. Doesn't mean you're not allowed to hurt."

Sheila smiled at that. "True."

"So," I hedged, "are you gonna tell me what's going on?"

She shrugged. "It's stupid really. Now that I can change into a wolf again, the end of my Trans won't take that long. My teachers think I will be a full werewolf in three months, give or take a few weeks."