Chapter 24 - Dylan

Author's note: please point out all mistakes in spelling and grammar! I'll be forever grateful.

Dylan's point of view

Tomorrow was going to be one of the biggest days so far. Finally, Cornelia Eisenburg had contacted Eros to tell him that KTS had a possible location for Benjamin Foul. Tracking his most recent phone number and going off all the information we had on him, they had tracked down a motel he might be staying with his mother. They hadn't been able to spot him yet, but his mother Julia had been spotted nearby. Even though I considered Ben a horrible person, I didn't think he'd ever leave his mother on her own, not with her mental condition. He was close.

I didn't really have a role to play in getting him – KTS was only taking Eros along, since he was the only person Ben cared for, aside from his mother. Still, I wanted to be well-rested, just in case. I was planning on getting up early and spending the day with Demona. She needed her roots fixed anyway, so I was bringing the red dye.

Before going to sleep, I couldn't help but pull Demona's letter from my nightstand. I had hidden it inside of the bible that I'd found there. None of my friends were ever gonna open a motel bible.

Ellen, Simon and Anne had all called me this week to tell me about what had happened between Anne and Eros. All of them had the same story: Anne had been in a state. It meant nothing. Eros had handled it better than anyone had expected. Still, I feared Eros might feel like he had cheated on Demona.

And I was the only one who knew for sure that Demona would forgive him.

Everyone felt that she would forgive him, but even Simon couldn't be one hundred percent sure. I could. I was. She had, after all, left me a letter with instructions before she went and had sex with Eros. There was one paragraph I had been reading more than usual:

Whatever Eros will do while I am gone, tell him I will forgive him for everything, okay? Everything, no exceptions. So every time he does something stupid, tell him that I forgive him. Even if drinks himself into a coma every single day. Even if he cheats on me. Even if he kills someone. Just be there for him and again: I forgive him in advance.

I wasn't sure if I should tell Eros. On the one hand, this might make him feel better. On the other hand... he might want to read the letter himself and I couldn't have that happening. There was so much in here that he could never know.

I am not sure I will survive this. Please make sure Eros and Simon don't find out. In their letters, I will pretend that I am one hundred percent certain I am going to beat the odds and come back to them. The truth is that there are no guaranties.

It was hard enough for me to know that one of my best friends, my cousin even, might never wake up. That I might end up at her funeral in the next few months. Eros would never be the same once he read this letter, so I had made sure to never speak about it. Everyone knew that Demona had written me one, since she had left letters for the others as well, but no one suspected that mine had been quite different.