Chapter 40 - Eros

Eros' point of view

Waking up to those two bright blue eyes was all I'd hoped for these past four months. Part of me had thought I might never get to see them again, not like this. Thank God I'd been wrong about that.

"Demona..." I blinked a few times, trying to make sure I wasn't dreaming. "Is that... is that really you?" I squeezed her hand and smiled. She was real. She was awake. And she was smiling back.

"Were you that jealous of my long beauty sleep?" she teased, brushing some stray hairs from my forehead. "Did you really have to try and create your very own coma?"

Normally, I'd join in on the banter, but I just wanted to hold her right now. Make sure that she was okay. I sat up and pulled her to me, enjoying how her body felt against mine, her hair tickling my face. It hurt like hell, but I breathed through the pain, refusing to give into it. Sheila's claw and bite marks hadn't healed yet, unfortunately. They weren't as sore as they had been before, though.

"Careful," Demona warned when she noticed my pain through the bond. Oh, how I'd missed her understanding me without either of us having to voice our thoughts. She pushed me gently back onto the matrass, her expression concerned.

"I'm fine," I assured her, getting up again. She was strong though, almost as strong as I was. That surprised me – shouldn't she be weak right now? She'd only just woken up, after all. I managed to sit up anyway and I drew her close once more, this time to kiss her.

I'd expected our first kiss to be nothing short of magical, but the opposite was true. She kissed me back, but only for a second. Her feelings were dark and she turned her fact away from mine. She was... angry with me?

Oh God. The yelling was about to start, probably. I had joked about looking forward to her telling me off, but I hadn't expected her to start so soon after we'd been reunited. Certainly not in the middle of what should have been our first kiss in months.

Of course, I knew that I deserved it. I'd put her in a coma, after all.

"I'm sorry," I told her. "So sorry, Demona. I never should have believed you, never should have slept with you. No, even before that, I shouldn't have befriended Ben. I should have trusted you when you told me that he was bad news. Your coma was all my fault."

"No, it wasn't," she assured me. "That's not what I'm mad about."

I blinked and examined her feelings. It had been a while and I'd grow so accustomed to Simon's much calmer presence on the other side of the bond that it took me much longer than it would have before to realized what Dem was talking about.

"Oh," I realized. "Anne."

"Yes," she bit out, "Anne. It's not just that you cheated on me Eros, but with my best friend? You couldn't just sleep with some random chick? Did it really have to be Anne?"

"I know, I know," I agreed, trying to take her hand again. "I'm so sorry, I never should have-"

"Simon!" Demona exclaimed in the middle of my apology. She turned around and threw herself at the bed on the other side of the room.

He grunted when she buried her face against his chest, but he hugged her anyway. He looked as banged up as I did, but he too ignored the pain as he finally held his bondmate in his arms after waiting for such a long time. Their reunion wasn't clouded by guilt like mine had been. They both cried and held each other's faces, gazing into the other's eyes as they let their mutual bond wash over them. I felt jealous of how uncomplicated their relationship was in that moment. Dem and I had never been quite like that, but I hoped we could grow to be like that. Their auras mixed into a purple-gold hue and it almost hurt to look at.