Chapter 53 - Eros

Dear readers, 

I want to ask you a favor. I don't live in the USA myself and I have been struggling with understanding the school system in the USA. In my country, The Netherlands, things are very different. I googled everything, of course, trying to make sure that Dylan, Simon, Sheila and everyone else are pursuing studies and careers that actually exist, but it's been hard. Google is not the same as truly living somewhere. I've never even been in the USA.

The same goes for all the places I describe, the distances, the road trips. I live in a very small country where people don't usually break up when they go to college, because even if you move to the other side of the country, you're only a five-hour train ride away. When I watch movies set in the USA (which I often do), I often marvel at things that must be so normal for people living in the USA.

So... if you spot anything that doesn't make sense, please tell me. I rely on my USA readers to tell me when I mess up. I don't want readers to get annoyed with me for not getting things right, so I would love to fix the mistakes that you spot.

So please, please comment. This goes for all my books, every single chapter, every single word I write. Please tell me when I mess up. I will love you for it.

Thank you!

And enjoy this chapter!

Eros' point of view

The Transition was awful, nothing short of hell on earth. When I finally got released from my cell after three days of non-stop bloodlust, vomiting and yelling at the walls, I felt like a brand-new person. The world seemed brighter, somehow. Colors were more vibrant, food tasted richer and sounds were louder. On top of that, I had to drink human blood now, instead of animal blood. That might be a nightmare for Demona, but I enjoyed it. I had drank straight from the vein before, but most of my... donors had been supernaturals. Humans tasted so much better, even from a blood bag.

The first person I visited once I was out of my cell was Demona, of course. It was depressing that she was still in a cell, but at least she'd be able to get out of there soon. Right now, it was the only place safe for her. Not just because of the mind control, but also because she had started transforming into a full vampire only a day after my Transition had started.

Cornelia had assured me that it was perfectly natural for us to go through that change at the same time, since we were, after all, bondmates. It was a bit early for her, but her body was strong. She could definitely handle the change. I had been worried about Simon, since he might get pulled into this mess as well and no one was quite sure if his body was ready to be a full fairy, but so far he hadn't noticed any changes. He didn't have to be in a cell for the change, since fairies weren't dangerous in the way that werewolves and vampires were. Even witches sometimes did some damage depending on what powers they possessed on top of their regular magic. All Simon would do during the change was get sick and go crazy for a while, trying to fulfill every impossible wish the people around him made. It sucked, but no one but him would truly suffer. He could just live his life, enjoy his summer vacation, help Sheila take care of her aunt. No need for a cell while he waited to see if he was going to turn or not.

Demona was happy to see me, but she had to stop talking to me a few times, to go puke in the bathroom or drink some more blood. Her fangs shot out a few times and it was cute to see how freaked out she still was by that. She truly was the worst vampire ever. What vampire is afraid of their own teeth?

When the hour was up and the guards threw me out, I was more than excited to be out of that damned prison. Of course, I would happily stay with Demona in her cell if that was possible or smart or helpful, but we all knew that it wasn't. Me and her being in the same room was not something that would be possible until she had completed the transition and was able to hand her power of mind control over to me forever. In the meantime, I had no powers whatsoever. Sure, I was fast and strong and my hearing was still amazing, but I had gotten used to controlling minds or at least seeing auras. Here I was, just a regular vampire. Eros Slayer the way he would have been if Demona Hollow had never existed: just a regular vampire, no special powers, no nothing.