Chapter 5 - Dylan

Dylan's point of view

Date night. To me, that had always sounded like something that old people did. Married people, having trouble keeping the romance in their relationship alive with their attention being more on their jobs and their kids than each other. So, when Carl had asked me if we could start having a Friday night date night, I hadn't exactly been too happy about that. To me, it sounded like he didn't like our relationship anymore. Like I wasn't living up to what he'd expected of me and we needed to make plans to see each other instead of just show up like we'd been doing so far.

Of course, I had to admit that it had been Carl who showed up and surprised me those past couple of weeks. Ever since Demona's situation, I had been focused on her and Eros. I couldn't even remember the last time I'd jumped in my car to go see Carl. We hung out in the hospital or in my motel room. The last time we'd actually gone out on a date was a long time ago. I understood why he'd feel the need to bring up the subject, even if I resented the need for it.

I decided to bring my A-game for our dinner date. I made reservations at a fancy restaurant, bought him a present, washed my car before I went to pick him up and wore the aftershave he'd bought for me a few weeks back. I knew for a fact that none of my efforts would go unnoticed. That was one of the things I loved most about Carl: he paid attention. Not just to me, but to the world around him in general. To see him gaze at something that I had never noticed before, hearing him talk about why he thought it was so special... Yeah, it was one of the many reasons I'd fallen in love with him.

I arrived at the school early, not wanting to make him wait for me. I parked the car at the edge of the school grounds, since I didn't feel like running into any old classmates in the parking lot. The last thing I wanted was for people to ask me about Demona or demanding to know what I was doing with my life now. I'd wanted to figure out just that, find something I loved, but instead I was a glorified nurse and babysitter without an actual paycheck. It was a good thing my dad had handed me a credit card. We didn't talk much these days, since he seemed to sense that I wasn't in the mood for his advice, but he was doing the most important thing he'd always done. He accepted me. He'd done it when I'd come out to him and he was doing it now, accepting that I wasn't going to get a job or go to uni just yet. Right now, I needed to be where my friends were.

When Carl texted me that he was on his way, I straightened the shirt I'd painstakingly tried to iron earlier that day. I was pretty sure that Carl could have done a better job in half the time, but it looked alright to me.

"Look at you, being the perfect gentleman!" Carl called to me when he saw me standing there in my dark jeans and crisp burgundy shirt. It was the exact same color of a shirt he'd pointed out to me once, telling me that it would look great on me.

I grinned at him and opened the door of my car for him. Instead of getting in right away, he embraced me first, kissing me hard.

"I missed you," he told me. "School was so much more fun with you next to me."

Although we'd never actually had any classes together, I knew what he meant. We had texted during classes, trying our best not to get caught. There had always been the anticipation of seeing him again at breakfast, lunch and dinner. And of course, we'd spent many hours in both his and mine bed. And the shower. And the forest, that one time...

"You're looking at me like you're contemplating having me for dinner," Carl teased, getting in the car. "You're not getting out of this that easy though. I need to be wowed!"

I got behind the steering wheel and turned on the ignition. Music started playing just the way I'd planned, playing Love Me Like You Do by Ellie Golding. Carl's whole face lit up and he put his hand on my leg, squeezing hard.