Chapter 18

Sometimes I wonder what my friends would think. If they found out I joined some shady group of people. Temari would probably think it's badass.

I can already hear Tenten saying that it sounds cool, then slapping me for being so stupid.

Kankuro would freak out, saying it would get me killed. Then Tenten would slap him so he would shut up.

Gaara would be indifferent. The last time I'd seen him, he was in a bad mood and he would strangle anyone who got too close to him.

I was knocked out of my thoughts as Pain started speaking.

"Kitsune and Tobi, go get your cloaks on. Kitsune, consider this part of your training."

Me and Tobi went up to our rooms, got the cloaks and rings, and left to go back downstairs. I never really knew what the rings were for, but maybe to signify being a true member or something? Who knows with these people. They're freaky enough as is.

"Samehada, you are going with them. Both Tobi and Kitsune are new to the organization." Pain explained.

Kisame maneuvered through the pipes, I'm guessing to get his special Kindergarten class ring to signify he's a four year old. Note to self: don't say that out loud.

"You're going to assassinate this man. His last reported sighting was in Konohagakure, he should be easy to handle if you play your cards right." The picture showed a man with half his face covered in bandages, and there was a scar in the shape of an x on his chin.

"So we'll gamble him to death?" End my sarcastic mouth please.

"If that were possible, I'd send Kakuzu on this mission. Samehada, take these papers. I've laminated them so you may lead the way."

"Got it, boss. Hey kid, let me cut his legs off, would ya?"

"I don't care what you do to him. As long as he's dead in the end, right?"

Kisame laughed and traveled through the pipes to go through the walls and into the outside world. Following him, we found him going down into the sewer. I pried the sewer hatch open and climbed down, trying to follow the Selkie to the best of my abilities, Tobi behind me.

Jumping off the ladder, Kisame poked his head up from the dirty sewage running in the middle of the pipe. This pipe was huge, probably one of the main ones running underneath Konoha.

"Can you believe some of my kind are forced to live down here?" Kisame said.

"I don't want to, but yeah it's pretty believable. I'm sure all kinds of cybrids live down here."

"Humans caused all this, you know? With their endless curiosity."

"I've heard about it. How humanity killed itself. I'm kind of surprised that you're able to swim in that sewage. Is it normally that high?"

"My tail is almost scraping the bottom. I'm sure Pain checked before sending me here if it was deep enough."

We walked, well, Kisame swam, but that's beside the point, the rest of the way in silence.

I spotted the guy we were meant to kill in the distance. Most of his body was shrouded in darkness or bandages, but I could tell it was him. I could feel it in my gut, this was the guy.

Suddenly, I stopped walking. My eyes widened. This man, I felt like he was choking me without even knowing I was there.

"Do you guys... feel that?" I choked out. My legs started quivering, threatening to collapse.

"Tobi... Go on ahead. I'll take Naruto back. I don't know what's causing him to act like this, but it definitely isn't first mission jitters." Kisame said.