xxvi. JEALOUSY, DAY ELEVEN

HE SPENT THE morning with Evan

         HE SPENT THE morning with Evan. They went to IHOP – because he refused to enter a Waffle House still – and he got pancakes while Evan got everything but pancakes it seemed. Like, come on, you're at IHOP – a house of fucking pancakes – and you don't order any? Who are you? But whatever, it was too early to fight his brother on the matter.

         Jax held his coffee as if he was protecting something precious, sipping on it occasionally as they actually waited for their food. "Enjoying your vacation with Roman?" he asked his brother, who couldn't keep a grin on his face.

         "Yeah," God the look on his face made Jax sick, "We went sightseeing yesterday and a couple days before shopping. And he took me to this nice restaurant, and God, Jax, he's just – he's amazing. I love him."

         "You look like a fool right now," Jax deadpanned, "I mean, you should see that lovesick look on your face. It's hideous."

         Evan rolled his eyes, "Just because I'm happy and in a relationship while you're single without any prospects doesn't mean you have to take out your emotions on me. I don't want or need them."

         "Hey!" Jax exclaimed, going to defend himself, "I have people interested in me."

         His older brother snorted, "Oh really? Who exactly? Your pillow?"

         Jax couldn't help himself; he had to kick Evan under the table. Something overcame him and, really, it was out of his control. He also couldn't help the grin that overtook his face when Evan yelped in pain. "I'm not twelve, asshole, and there is someone – it's just, we're going slow," Jax explained.

         He would not give away that it was Joe, seeing as he was still in the closet. It wasn't his place. But yeah, he had someone. He didn't have to be bitter and alone anymore; he could be better and in a relationship. Which had to be better, it had to be.

         "I'm sure," Evan said sarcastically, taking a sip of his Coke because he didn't have breakfast drinks with breakfast – apparently he was too good for it. "But really, you'll find someone, just...it takes time."

         "What wonderful advice. Really, thank you, Evan," Jax dryly told him and Evan rolled his eyes again.

         "Roman's coming back to LA with us, forgot to mention that," Evan changed the subject, "He has a meeting with Oliver, so..."

         "It can't be good?" Jax finished with a question. Evan nodded, "Ah. Is it about his and Timothée's new, or renewed, relationship?"

         "Yep," Evan said, "Wants to tell them what not to say and everything. Well, tell Oliver what not to say. He showed Roman the texts he sent to River –"

         "That bitch."

         "– when he broke up with her," Evan shot him a look for interrupting him. Jax looked at him innocently. "I mean, they were fucking hilarious and I commend him and everything, but damn – they were not good at all. Definitely can't say that about Timothée on social media."

         "What'd he say?" Jax asked greedily.

         Evan grinned at him, "I'll show you the screenshots later. You will not be disappointed in them."

         "I better not."