Chapter 21

Now that everyone had left the meeting room it was eerily quiet. I sat back down in my seat while Dario started to pace nervously around the room.

"What's the matter?" I asked worried. "Why did Lazarus say he'd protect her? Who's her?"

Dario stopped pacing and turned to me. "Who's her?" He asked like it was the most ridiculous question he had ever heard. "You, of course."

I blinked at him. "Me? Why me?"

"We said that the incidents stopped after you were attacked, right?"

"Yeah, but maybe that's just because they know we are on to them. Or maybe it's just a coincidence, and they just haven't had an opportunity to attack again."

Dario shook his head. "No, they're after you."

"What? Why?" I asked. They attack me once and they just decide they need to get me? How ridiculous was that? It just didn't seem to make any sense.

"I can't tell you why."

"Of course not!" I said throwing my arms in the air exasperated. "What exactly can you tell me, Dario?"

"That you can no longer go anywhere alone. And you most definitely can't go out at night. Ever."

"Ever? But then when-" I stopped abruptly. I was just about to ask him when would I get to see him. I then realized I probably could've just asked him. I mean, he was my friend. Friends like to see each other and hang out. Now I made the question awkward. Oh, way to go me. Now he may think I like him.

He smirked at me. "When will you get to see me? I'll sneak out when I can."

"How did you know I was talking about you? Victoria is my best friend, when will I see her?"

"You'll actually get to see her more than me."

Well, that was good and bad.

"You don't have to worry about me going anywhere by myself. My roommates and Lazarus won't let me out of their sight," I said.

"They're not good enough," Dario said starting to pace again. "If I said Lazarus can't protect you, then your roommates definitely can't."

"I don't know, have you seen Zoey? No offense to Lazarus, but I'm pretty sure Zoey could kick his ass."

Dario laughed and ran his hands through his hair. "That's probably true, but it's still not good enough. You need us protecting you."

"How's that going to work? You guys can't come out during the day."

"No, but fairies are very easily hidden."

"So, you're going to have Faye follow me around everywhere? What makes you think she's going to want to do that?" I asked.

"I don't care if she wants to or not. She's going to because I said so." Oh great now he sounded like he was Faye's father or something.

"I don't have a choice in this do I?" I asked.

"No. I refuse to let you be anywhere unprotected."

Of course. What was it with the guys in my life thinking I needed to be protected? I guess it did make more sense in this situation. I really didn't know how to defend myself against witches and wizards. I don't think it's even possible for a human to defend themselves against a witch or wizard. I just wish I knew why they were after me. I guess I'd have to try and figure it out myself, since no one else was going to tell me.

"And you really can't tell me why they're after me?"

"No, Liz," Dario said exasperated. "I really can't tell you why."