The Enemy Within

Outer Kingdom.

3rd Person POV

Rook walked swiftly following the servant as he led him towards the back section of the East Palace. He had gone to talk to Lenair but he did what he always did best, plant doubt in his mind for his actions.

Rook shook his head, he was a soldier and he had a duty to his old King. That boy maybe the King now but he had served a different one his entire life.

Everything was moving according to the boys wishes, The Elders had mostly agreed, he had managed to find and talk with the Clan Heads of the exiled and they had agreed to return. Why wouldn't they, it was what they had wanted, power to control the country at the side of the King again.

His detour to see Lenari had been a blessing, he had to pass through the outer sections of the capital and the news had come to him. The Clan Heads from the five clans had begun to arrive, that only meant one thing, it would happen soon. The oath would be taken, and they would no longer be exiled.

He walked into the room the servant showed him, the kings...uncle, stopped tying his robe and looked at him a little surprised. He had aged in the few years he hadn't seen him.

"What brings you here Rook?" He asked annoyed. "What did that boy try to do?"

"It's not trying, he's doing it." The old king stopped and gave him his full attention.

"What?"

"He's bring back the exiled." Rook told him.

The old king stood still like a stone statue before his colour and features changed. His face twisted into pure fury before he yelled and upturned the table nearby.

"That...that...upstart...how dare he..." The enraged man spat. "Call the elders..."

"He already had a meeting, most of them agreed.

"Tell the ministers and chancellors." He shouted carrying on. "They will never agree, they will break him..."

"He's had meetings with them too, they know."

"And they agree?" He screamed. "Agreed to let the traitors have seats in the palace?"

"Many of them yes. Others don't have the power to object or they fear him..."

"They fear me more." He shouted. "I knew I shouldn't have listened to those bastards. Keeping me here to keep me safe, but it was to get me out of the way. I won't allow it..."

"It may be too late..." Rook tells him.

"I still have minsters and chancellors loyal to me." He snarled. "I will use this to destroy him. I will pull him off that throne and rip him apart with my hands. That throne is mine, I will not listen to anything, I will take it back."

"The Clan Heads are coming, it's going to happen soon." Rook tells him.

"Time enough to contact important friends." He sneered. "He will not see the sun again, this time...I will make sure myself. You know what to do."

Rook bowed and left the room as the old king begun shouting orders and the servants hurried to obey. He slowed when he saw a young girl limping out from the side door, trying to be invisible. Her face heavily bruised, her clothes ripped and her arm bleeding.

He closed his eyes and took deep breaths, old days running thought his mind of same things that both father and son did ... enjoyed. The small voice screamed at him again, what was that, his conscious?