The King's Consort

Ming POV

The streets are bustling with music, laughter and dancing everywhere. I stand quietly in a relatively quiet side street watching a young woman, sitting near a small fountain holding a baby close. She is dressed in average clothes, her face a little dirty, looking ready to drop.

She thanks the innkeeper when he hands her a tray of food, immediately feeding the little girl clinging to her side. The child never moved, talked, or cried and never let go of her cloak as she took tiny bites of the food. Before she can eat anything, the baby lets out a cry, she feeds the baby as she rocks them.

I look up when I see movement; Kit's leaning against the opposite wall watching the scene. An old woman heads into the side street; she goes pale, covering the children and herself in her cloak, quickly lowering to the floor. The old woman looks around but seeing nothing leaves the way she came.

She stands quickly, taking the girls hand and hurries the opposite way. I follow, Kit leans away from the wall walking on the opposite side. He crosses the street when the crowd parts, falling into step with Kit. I sent for him.

"Who is she?"

"I don't know." I answer. "The guards let her trough after she showed them Ambassador Rei's Seal."

"Was she alone?"

"Only her and the children, but someone was following her." I tell him. "My people stopped him before they could do anything."

"Who is that woman that frightened her?"

"She works as a laundry maid for one of the caravan's and has been here a few days." I answer. "Guess which one."

"That man is getting on my last nerve." Kit sounds annoyed. "Every idiot he's hired is suspicious."

Namten's father had hired cheap labour, all on the guarantee of our watcher and every one of them were up to something.

"I will take care of this but keep a close watch." Kit instructs me. "Nothing can happen today."

I nod walking away, I lightly touch the bracelet hidden under my sleeve. I knew Arthit trusted me but this gift showed me how much he valued our friendship too. Nothing was going to happen today and if anyone tried, I would make sure it was their last mistake.

~~~~~~~~~~

Mar POV

"It's too much."

"I haven't even started to decorate the bed." she looked affronted.

"The flowers, Maprang." I looked around the room. "There are too many."

She looks around for a while before finally sighing and calling in a few of the servants to remove them. I open the large balcony door letting in fresh air, the soft breeze ruffles petals of the many buckets and vases filled to the brim with a hundred different colours.

The music is louder as the time approaches for the ceremony, laughter and voices filling the air. I watch Maprang throw things onto the bed happily, petals, small paper flowers and tiny dried cactus. She places a large tray filled with small vials on the decorated table by the side of the bed, throwing petals around it too.

"Why do they need oil?"

"You know so little." Maprang shakes her head. "He was injured and then they were separated for a few days. They need to get reacquainted."