20: Changes

*Y/N's P. O. V. *

No one can believe that I'm still alive, and honestly, after all that I've been through?... Same.

Everything went exactly the way Kamski planned. There was an explosion, I acted like I escaped and then further strengthening my story by enabling an 'injured mode' option in my settings which gave me natural looking scars, bruises, and even bits of human blood. It was very realistic, no one is batting an eye...not even Conan, but I know he's a little bit uneasy the moment we saw each other again.

I explained to them how I "escaped" and what happened to my "takers". No one is doubting me and every evidence they found matches what I told them and within just hours, the case was closed. I'm still upset at how eight innocent people were killed during this process, but I really can't do much about that now. What's important is my transformation is successful and Kamski is now done with experimenting with humans.

"We all thought you're dead. We're just waiting for your dead body to show up, but here you are...miraculously alive," Gavin said as he sat on his desk across me. We're already at the station and I'm just glad that they didn't insist on confining me to a hospital to recover.

I began to scan Gavin, immediately seeing that he'd been sleep deprived for the last three days. His caffeine levels are very high too which means he's pushing himself to his limits. I can also see that he's tired - he must have been walking and searching with the rescue team for the last couple of days. I honestly didn't expect that, but I appreciate it.

"Reed, are you happy that you found me alive and well or are you disappointed?" I asked while staring at him. I was giving him a cheeky smile but I can now feel that it is really pushed...something that I pushed myself in doing.

"You're one tough human, aren't you?" he said.

Human? No. Not anymore.

"But I'm glad you're back," he added.

I smiled at him and began to organize the things that are left on my desk. Thankfully, there are no funeral flowers yet, but I totally sensed their shock the moment I showed up alive. They were very thankful, it's just like they can't believe that after what happened, I'm still here.

I continued to organize my things and only stopped when I noticed someone staring at me. I looked up and saw Conan sitting on his spot across my desk, he was intensely staring at me.

"Uh...is there...something wrong with my face, Conan? You haven't said a word to me since I got back...you're just...staring," I asked, sounding natural as ever and even showing many emotions.

"Something is..." he started but then I saw him simply shaking his head, "Nothing, detective. Apologies for my silence, I am still trying to reconstruct what happened at that area. But I am also glad that you are back," he said.

"He's probably guilty," Gavin interrupted which made Conan glare at him.

"Guilty? Guilty of what?" I asked.

"Your abduction. He could have prevented it if he'd been more efficient and he knows it to himself, don't you, Conan?" Gavin continued, obviously pushing the android's buttons.

Conan was being defensive which is a natural reaction of someone trying to hide the truth. Conan might really be feeling guilty.

"It's not anyone's fault, I think it's meant to happen anyways. Just let it go, what matters is I'm still here... I'm still alive and the case is now closed," I explained and they both looked at me suspiciously, "What?" I asked.