▲About The Last Two Years

"I'm sorry Hannah but I've got to go." Flash held his sister's cheeks as she looked up at him with teary eyes.

"I don't understand why you have to go Fish." She called him by the name she picked out for him. Flash could only smile; that was what she called him when she first learned to talk so it stuck with him.

"Big brother has to be busy okay Han? I promise I'll be back as soon as I can." He smiled at her trying to cheer her up.

"You promise?"

"I promise, and we'll play everyday." He held her little finger with his.

"When you get back I'll be a big girl. Big girls don't play anymore." Hannah pouted. "But I don't want to play, I just want you home?"

Flash looked at his little sister; at only five years old how could she really know that much to miss a person? However she had been going to school for two years already, so just maybe.

"Oh what are you two cry babies going on about?" Flash's mother appeared from the kitchen with an apple and knife in her hand and smirking.

"I don't want fish to go mummy." Hannah looked at her mother with the tears welled up in her eyes. Her mother dropped her smirk and looked at her with a piece of apple held in her cheek.

"Flash has to go to school dear. He can't stay home all day." She rubbed her hair, Hannah looked at her mother in slight confusion. What she just said contradicted what Hannah heard earlier; why does big brother Flash have to go to school for two years?

"Mom, you know that's not what she means right?" Flash straightened his posture pushing his long hair from his face.

"I know." His mother looked at him wide eyed sarcastically as if she just heard a new development.

"But it's still school, and you have to go." She held off the post and ran her fingers through his shoulder length hair.

"This still surprises me. Sometimes it looks dark brown and other times it's black." She pulled at the strands of hair while biting into the apple.

"Anyway, you still have this week of school to finish before summer and then you'll be off, so go." She smiled that motherly smiled that sent love.

~.~

"So you can't hang this summer?" Lucky spun around in front of Flash temporarily blocking his path.

"Yea that's what I said." Flash frowned one corner of his lips before side stepping Lucky and walking on.

"For two years fox?" He looked in his face catching back up to his side. Flash just frowned and shrugged again.

"Okay, so what are you going for? It's just you right, so who are you staying with."

"It's family stuff, I'll be staying with my aunt." Flash pouted, he didn't want to talk about this anymore than Lucky wanted to hear that his best friend was leaving. Flash looked at Lucky; if only he could tell him what he wanted to. They were friends for years and then some, so he could afford tell him but.

"So what will happen to the two years of twelfth grade?" Flash focused on Lucky's question.

"Uh what?" He drew back absent-minded.

"Will you be coming back when school starts after summer or is this a permanent something?" Lucky restructured his question.

"Oh you're right, it's for a permanent two years- I don't think I'll even be able to visit." Flash looked at the gloomy look on Lucky's face. It was just as heartbreaking for him but it was for his benefit- his future.