Chapter 19

19.

Linksfield was the most beautiful harmonious place I had ever set my foot on. It housed a small community living in houses set on a several mountains. It was obviously a place where the rich and famous resided because I was certain tranquility like that was expensive. The houses were a considerable distance away from each other, giving a sense of limited seclusion. You weren't alone in the area, but you could pretend you were. It was similar to Ross's house at the edge of town but much more secluded.

Ross's cottage was surrounded by large trees with bright-green leaves. The driveway was very long and winding, and I could see small wooden bridges over streams out the window. There were several park benches placed along a walkway.

Ross parked the car next to the house's main door. The cottage was big and made of wood and stone. The glass windows were big and numerous. For a moment I was intrigued by the arched roof and the climbing vines on it.

"Welcome to Mitchell Paradise," Ross said dramatically.

"Do you have to put your name on everything?"

"Yes. I'd name it after you but you but you're such a negative force," he said.

I stuck my middle finger out. "You can name this after me."

"Negative force," he reiterated.

=

The beauty of the cottage on the outside continued on the inside. It was spacious and the big windows brought in light. It was a three hour drive to Linksfield and we'd made quite a lot of stops so we'd gotten there in the evening. As soon as we walked into the house Ross went to sit in the living area. The living area contained three large brown couches and a small table in the middle. There was a fireplace but no TV. Several empty glass and ceramic vases adorned the place. I noticed a Wave Soundtouch IV, perched on a tree-bark looking desk. The light was on, giving out a warm orange hue. The room had a relaxed ambiance.

I sat down next to Ross. He immediately slid into me, placing his head on my shoulder.

"So...since Nasir is not here, the cooking duties automatically fall onto you," he said casually.

I snorted. "You know, you could just ask."

"I don't have to," he said with a smug look.

"You know I could just walk, right? I don't actually owe you anything anymore."

He pulled his head back. "You don't?"

"You can ask Nasir. I've already started making extra money," I said giving him a smug look similar to the one he'd given me.

"Oh, but you still owe that guy, don't you?"

I rolled my eyes. "What do you want for dinner?"

He grinned. "Pork chops. Chop, chop"

I chuckled and went to the kitchen. The fridge was so full I wondered if we'd actually be there for a week or more. I didn't immediately mind. The place was beautiful and big enough for me to ditch Ross if I wanted to.

=

I made really tasty pork chops, even if I had to say so myself. Ross cleaned his place and asked for more. I ate a lot more than I should have. When we retreated back to the living area after dinner I felt heavier.

"Where'd you learn to cook?" Ross asked seemingly drawing with his fingers on my forearm. He'd taken to leaning against me again, as if he couldn't support his own weight.

"My mom...she worked a lot. She was a nurse. She taught me how to cook in case she didn't come home some days or had the night shift. I enjoyed doing it so I was eager to learn," I replied, taking his hand in mine.